Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I hate guitar center

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I dont no were this go but i thought this be a good spot.

I hate going to guitar center.Every time I go it seems like im in competition with somebody. As soon as i plug in and play for 30 seconds some punk kid or somebody its always somebody trys to upstage everybody in the room. Im sitting their trying to test and insturment and whatever I do they try to do it better and always 10 times louder so everybody knows he is their. And its almost the same scene. I walk in everybody stops and sizes you up, say I play a slap line or tapping then almost soon after 3 kids in sync are slapping out higher ground, or or whatever while im playing Me and my bass guitar with no pun intended then usaly that have their freinds with them going"oh that guy sucks your so much better" and this is all the time. And this aint the 14 year old kids this is also people older then that does that. Thanks for listening to my rant. I feel better.

2. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  4. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i hate the search...is this an archive or a site for conversation?

5. i find it's usually best to let people be themselves, especially when they are idiots.

6. I hate it when you go to a music store, and you have to ask the workers if you can play an instrument, and they get it and plug it in themselves,mess with the amp a bit, then sit there and play it for like 5 mins and if you ask them why they say "IM ADJUSTING IT FOR YOU " LIke they are offended and i tend to say back " IVE BEEN PLAYING BASS FOR 10 years NOW AND I THINK I CAN ADJUST IT MYSELF" thats what pisses me off. And the little punk kids too.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well its been discussed a bunch of times in a million threads with the same title, might as well just reply to those.

You would also find that in many cases these threads end up getting closed from too much arguing.

Its not something that needs to have its own thread started about, again.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Perhaps we should just sticky a GC bashing thread, so that people can vent every time they need to.

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

i get the feeling it would become a mega thread in no time.

10. how about a sticky-mega-thread for bashing people who post threads that have already been done?

;)

11. I agree, bit I do want my 1 mionute back that it took me to read it.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I can't believe a 20 year old wrote that post.

13. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think you're a genius. If we had one, I would have posted last week. Guitar Center is lame. A good freind of mine used to work there. On top of the store being lame, they really take advantage of their employees. My freind one month sold over $25,000 worth of gear. His commission check.....................$120! That's not even a half a percent! Hard to respect a store that doesn't respect their employees.

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    When you stop going into music stores trying to show off by playing "Me and My Bass Guitar", you'll be amazed at how quickly your troubles will end.

This thread has nothing to do with Guitar Center. Has to do with ego.

15. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    No i wasnt playing the song i was just playing my bass i brought in with me. The only thing I do is more or less play scales and danzig bass line.I played that song once in their to prove the fact that regardless what you play half the people always feel incline to let you no that you suck and shine up their egos. Going to a guitar store to show off is stupid im their test insturments.

16. I have to say you have a point. When I go into stores I just make up some things grovey to get a feeling. Play some scales etc. I don't care about showing off because I just want to see what the damn instrument is like.

17. letting go of ego is the best possible thing for any musician....

1) not being jealous of other cats

2) understanding we are ALL on the same level, and we can all play the same- its just about effort- not having "it".

3) not waiting for a nice sweep of chops in your bassline, just Grooving it and loving every minute of it.

I lost all of my ego in september 2002. I saw soulive play, and their guitarist would hold down these rhythm patterns....just playing rhythm guitar... and he makes this face, where you know hes just diggin the hell out of the rhythm.... he doesnt wanna show off his amazing skills.... just hold down the music. I really learned alot about a groove that night from Soulive.......afterwards i went and hung out with umphreys and helped them get their stuff on stage and what not, passed the green, and had a big discussion about music.....then i went and watched their set (the most technicaly mindboggling set of music id ever seen at that point) and just total grasped these werent special people.....they were people with 10 fingers just like me, but they could play cuz they practice their ass off. ....that night changed my life.

It just feels better with no ego, I love it. Obviously i have my moments still, but i never feel threatened, feel comfortable with my abilities with my group...and just love music- there is no insecurity there... its beautiful.... and letting go of the ego is the best talent any musician can have.

Edited for language

18. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've put in my time as a bassist and have no need to prove myself anymore. I know I jam, but when I was a teenager did all the ego competition stuff. So, I've been there. I still don't like guitar center though. Too many bad experiences. Another guy in this thread mentioned the sales guys messin with the amp he was playing on to get him a "good" sound after he'd been playing for ten years. That's happened to me too. It's very condescending to have a zitty 17 year old guy that only plays Blink 182 bass lines tell me what sounds good. No offense to zitty teens, but man, some of us have been in the pro circuit for a long time. Talk to your customer, get to know him, then give him custom tailored advice. That's good salesmanship.

19. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey, when you say, "pass the green", are you referring to their green guitars?

20. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    This thread wanst meant to be anything of ego. Its meant to be of respect for your fellower player instead of going up to to your face every time your playing and saying you f***** suck every time your at a store to everybody in the room. Ego is one thing to have, but if you dont have respect your more then likely going to get something woresed then a bruised ego