Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i hate guitarists...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PasterofMuppets, Jul 28, 2002.

1. It's my turn to rant...
    My guitarist kicked me outta my band today for having creative differences. Namely, he wanted to write the guitar lines as well as the basslines, and complained (even stopping in the middle of a song to yell at me) for changing it even the tiniest bit.
    Is it just me, or is part of writing music actually writing it? He doesn't seem to get that.. :rolleyes:
    We've only played 2 gigs, and at the second one, I started doing a little blues scale to get the people movin, and afterwards I got b****ed at for taking the spotlight. Ahh! I think I'm gonna go make an all bassplayer band. Ok I'm done.. thanks for listening :D

2. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I hear you there, but what about the opinions of the other bandmates? Didn't they have a say?

People like that suck. I don't know which is worse; the ones who feel that certain instruments must stick to certain roles, or the ones who hate more styles of music than they actually like.

Why are good bandmembers so hard to find?

Anyways, if you need a little insurance, an extra ace up your sleeve, here are a few things you can do to keep yourself in the band when it's SOMEONE ELSE who needs to leave:

Rehearsal space- If you are all getting together to practice at your place, you've got a vote in your favor.

Owner of the van- If it is your van which is getting everyones' stuff to the shows, they can tote their crap around in their own cars.

Invest in a good P.A. system

I hope these suggestions help.

3. The hell with that d*****bag. I hope he'll enjoy playing alone in his room for the rest of his life. With that attitude, no bass player would put up with being in a band with him.

4. My guitarist was a little like that initially, didn't yell though. He would come over and teach me the lines and what to play. But recently he has been paying me comments.

I finally realised what he was doing, and why. He managed to get my mediocre playing of 4 years up to his standard of 8 years, so now when he has a line i understand and know what to put behind it straight away.

The only reason he would never yell at me etc, is because i started the band long before we found him heehee

:D:D

Merls

5. all i can say is thank god my band hasnt written any originals yet!

6. 4stringthing

4stringthing

May 10, 2001
    Arkansas
    Guitar players suck! Especially the ones that think the guitar is the best instrument ever made.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I find the whole "guitarist stereotype" thing just, that, a stereotype. AssH*le musicians are assH*le musicians, no matter what they play.

Dannowhere is right though. No one is ever going to play with that guy. He's just going to wind up in his bedroom for the rest of his life. No one wants to play with a Malmsteen type person, even if he is a good guitarist.

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    This guy is a prima donna. It's better to get out now, imagine if that band starts to go somewhere, then he'll be really insufferable. It really isn't worth putting up with the antics of some egotist at any rate, good riddance I say! This genius will probably end up firing everyone because they don't understand his vision because he's the biggest musical mind ever:rolleyes: . Before long I'm sure he'll fire the rest of the band and then he can do what he does best - play with himself:D

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I was kicked out of my old band for creative differences as well -- I was creative and the rest of the band wasn't!

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hey PasterofMuppets: So, what's Scott Stapp really like? :D

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    LOL

Peace