Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I hate Happy Apple with a passion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bethelbass1, Jan 16, 2005.

1. I went to the Happy Apple CD release party for their new CD "The Peace Between Our Companies" and I was sorely dissapointed. I have heard very little of their music but have been told many times about their greatness and the amazing playing of their drummer Dave King. However, I found his playing very distracting and flashy. The songs made no sense and the saxophonist played amazingly except his playing had nothing to do with what the electic bass player did. They are all amazing players and have a great command of their instruments, but their songs make no sense, their music is extremely self-indulgent, and lasts for far too long. They are labeled as modern jazz but I cannot see anything linking them to jazz, not even to free jazz. It would be one thing if they were communicating outside of the restictions of time and pitch, but it seemed as if they were playing what ever they felt like playing. There was no continuity. Tell me what you think if you have heard of them. Maybe someone can explain their "style" to me.

As for now, I am insulted they even label themselves as jazz. They spit on the grave of every great jazz player before them.

2. estesbass

estesbass

Dec 6, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    I don't think anyone's "explaining" will make you like Happy Apple any more. Actually I hated Happy Apple too when I first heard them. Maybe come back to the cd in a year or two and see if you feel the same way. Now they are one of my favorite groups. Actually, most of my favorite cd's are from artists that I initially hated as well. I guess this is because we all have such strong conceptual bias, and our tastes change with each day.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I just checked out some MP3's, never heard of them before. My first impression is yawn ....they seem a bit one dimensional to me. I like the saxophonist the best... rather hear him/her in another setting I think. I wouldn't go out of my way to see them, but I don't despise them. As far as the "jazz" label goes, I'm beyond getting riled up about it...been down that road too many times already.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I listened to a couple of their demos on some Web site.

To my ears it seemed like some strange marriage of jazz and punk. I guess you'd call it "pazz" or maybe . . . uh oh . . . I shouldn't go there.

It wasn't my cup of tea, but "hate" seems like such a strong word for someone's artistic efforts. I wish we had made enough progress in the world that all we had left to hate was bad music, but until then, I think I'll save that word for things that matter.

5. I guess hate is a strong word. But I definetly don't find their sound appealing. I'm just confused becuse I don't see the point in their music. It must just be over my head.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    It could also be under your head.