Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I hate Ibanez but, what about the BTB's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I have hated the feel of Every Ibanez I have ever played. I have Huge hands, and I can't stand pencil necks. Then I heard about the BTB series.

What is the feel of these basses?
    How wide is the string spacing on the 4's and 5's?
    How do they sound?

2. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    BTBs, IMHO, are really great basses. They have the full 3/4" spacing, 35-inch scale necks, and with the newest models, some really good electronics and pickups.
    The only gripe I have with the ones I've tried is that the frets weren't dressed very well... I felt that if I were run my hands up and down the neck really fast I'd cut them open.

3. well i have an ibanez btb 4005. 5 string 35 inch scale and it's amazing. the bridge is very interesting and easy to string. it the b pretty tight too. i go to shops a lot and play a lot of guitars. the only one i've ever liked more than my ibanez is warrior. warrior instruments.com. every bass player should see them. the ibanez is amazing though. especially for the price. can't say enough good things about them.

4. Very nice bass, I bought mine from Angus. The preamp is excellent.

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Hate?!?? I love basses. Just some more than others...

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Let's just say Ibanez basses don't get too much love from me:p

Suddenly I feel guilty:D

What do they sound like? What other basses could their sound be compared to?

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The BTB's are the best Ibanez in production IMO. The neck is a bit wider and very flat, almost seem to feel like the fretboard has no radius on it. They play pretty easily though, and dont sound all that bad either. I dont like Ibanez either, but Ive considered buying a 6 string BTB, that was untill I played the Cirrus 6

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Umm. I thought ATK's were the largest Ibanez has to offer.

9. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I have always disliked Ibanez, but I have to admit I was impressed with the higher-end BTB's (the lower end BTBs are nothing special though).

Unfortunately they have a very wide neck which makes it awkward for me.

10. I played a BTB 406qm245ba345f74t7aeoilfkajd........(i think the btb406qm part is right)

it felt great. very thin neck (20 mm at 1st fret, 22 at 12th). i played it simply because i'd never played a 6 string before. it just seemed overwhelming. well, now i'm hooked. the neck width was just about perfect (i have fairly large hands) and felt great.

the sound was pretty good too. i didn't actually figure out all the controls ( i thought the treble and bass knobs were tones for each pickup) but i still found a great sound in it. easy to play, and felt nice. i don't know if i can afford $900 for a bass....well, i know i can't right now, but i'm thinking of building one this summer.....maybe it'll be a six.

11. Having been an owner of a BTBQM i would say i am familiar with the bass. Firstly, it was incredible value, and took me ages to get hold of in the UK. The finish and construction were great, i liked the wide spacing on the neck as most 5s are too close together in my opinion. The eq was amazing, so much that i have 3 band with mid sweep on both my current 5s (warwick streamer lx and a Yamaha TRB). After a quick setup it played beautifully.

Criticisms. I think the neck profile was too shallow, i prefer something chunkier. I felt it needed active pickups to boost the B, though i thought it was a fine B. I cut my finger on the nut.

I would buy one again if i didnt have more to spend.

sim

12. whats the price like on the new BTB's?

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    the BTB 400 series are in the $500-$600 range

BTB1000 series are $1000 and up

14. I have a BTB, slap tone is crap!