I hate it, but it makes me a better player

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LBS-bass, May 25, 2021.

1. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Computer Music magazine.
    Do you play any other instruments? I do electronic music as well, and that adds another dimension to the variety I benefit from.

LBS-bass likes this.
  2. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I do. I play keys, poorly but well enough to compose music with them, and I write music that way. So this isn't the only thing I do. I enjoy performing though, and bass is my performance instrument of choice. Used to be bass and voice, but my voice doesn't get enough use these days to stay in shape.

Hummergeist and Winton like this.
  3. Winton

Winton

Nov 21, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    If I may be so bold to say this, but I think that most people on this site are men and guys tend to want to fix the problem rather than relate to the problem.

Source: I’m a guy.

4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I didn't want to say it but you are probably right about that. However, they don't seem to want to fix each other's problems as much as they want to fix mine :)

It's OK, but just a bit tiresome when every time I start a thread about something I think might prove interesting in a purely conversational way I have to reiterate at some point that I didn't ask for advice and I didn't just start playing last week.

Kubicki Fan, StevieMac, 31HZ and 2 others like this.
  5. Winton

Winton

Nov 21, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    Yeah, I get why you would feel guilty since it was gifted to you. I wouldn’t worry though because like you said, it’s difficult to play! I HD a fretless 5 string once and a professional I took some lessons with told me that fretless is an artistic choice and i should really focus on fretted bass unless I’m willing to invest the practice time on it.....so I sold it :laugh:

LBS-bass likes this.
  6. Winton

Winton

Nov 21, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    I understand. I have two sides to me where I want advice and a solution, where as the other side I just want to share something merely to share or to hear people’s thoughts. The latter usually doesn’t get much traffic though, hahaha. However, the times when o asked for advice here, people on this site has been more than helpful countless of times which is why I like TB!

LBS-bass likes this.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Not only does it solve your problem with the fiver, according to a BL I used to work for, extra instruments on stage, even if they never get played make the band look more professional. I’m not sure how that works but i was getting paid good enough I’d bring another bass and stand and set it up where it could be seen. After doing it for a while, i started playing it for a set, just to be safe. :D

mikewalker and LBS-bass like this.
  8. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Yep. Usually when I'm asking for advice it's a question like "what do you think I should do?" Or, "any thoughts?" with a clear problem laid out. But, you know, people want to be helpful and there are lots of good thoughts here for people who might want help with this issue. It's just that they'll stumble across it, because that question I didn't ask isn't reflected in the subject line.

Gaolee and Winton like this.
  9. After playing 4 strings for around 30 years I changed to 5. There was a considerable period of adjustment for my poor brain but now I only play 5 strings. I tried several 5 string basses but none were “the one”. The Fender American Deluxe had a wide neck that was a result of 19mm spacing. It had to go. These days I play custom made basses that suit me so much better. I prefer 16mm spacing. My favourite bass now is one I put together myself and is styled on a Precision but with 16mm spacing. I’m very comfortable with 5 strings now and when I drag out my old 4 string Precision it feels as you said, like a toy.

LBS-bass likes this.
  10. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I don't practice near enough. There, I said it. Now onto playing different sized instruments. I mostly play the doghouse these days and pick up a bass guitar once or twice a week. The number of notes that a bass guitar has available is mind boggling after playing the upright most of the time. The differences make for a lot of new mental pathways and fingerings for both. It also makes for good right hand callouses that the bass guitar doesn't make. A fiver would be another expansion on that.

LBS-bass likes this.
  11. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I've been playing a 5 for 20 years, and before that I played a 4 strung BEAD (I played dub at the time, so I needed the low B more than a G). All in all, I only played a regular 4 for the first 3 years.
    Today, whenever I grab a 4, I panic a little, thinking I'm going to miss the B and fall off the neck at some point. Yet most of my favorite players play 4's! And I never ever feel like they're missing any low end. I wonder how they can sound so good without it: Like the extra low string just makes it easier for me somehow. I'm thinking I need to put my 5er aside for a while and get used to a 4 again in order to become a better bassist.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Playing fretless helps you fret right where you need to on a fretted. Another thing I've found that helps that is stainless frets - they're a bit more prone to clank and rattle, unless you fret the string where you should. That actually makes playing fretless easier - I'm always playing something that needs precise fretting, so I never get out of the habit, and thus fretless is an easier transition when I pick it up.

Groove Doctor and LBS-bass like this.
  13. I found Stingray 5 strings were very comfy for me. Maybe try another bass or two before giving up on a 5?

retslock and LBS-bass like this.
  14. Not sure why anyone equates fighting with their instrument with it "making them a better player".

Cavemanfrmc and chris_b like this.
  15. After 40 some years of exclusively playing a 4 string, I bought a 5 string. What I found was that it was confusing to play the same songs on both basses. Fortunately, I played in two bands, and oldies band songs that were written for and recorded with a 4 string bass, and a corporate event/ wedding band where a 5 string was needed for most material. After several years it still is a little awkward playing the same some on both basses, it’s not an issue as much as it was at the begining. Just need a little brush up.

LBS-bass likes this.
  16. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I guess you didn't see the part about how after playing the fiver the four string feels much easier to play.

eriky4003 and Passinwind like this.
  17. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I think for many people, anything that gets them out of their comfort zone can be a helpful practice technique. If the 5'er serves that purpose for you, then that's great.

Passinwind and LBS-bass like this.
  18. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

What happened to the avatar @LBS-bass ? I think everything has been said. Make music already

LBS-bass likes this.
  19. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I want to change it but I haven't decided to what yet. I don't look like that anymore. My hair got long and somehow blonde again over this covid year!

logdrum and Mastermold like this.
  20. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    string the 4 B E A D

Joybass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021