I hate my school!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Feb 24, 2003.

1. OK, here's the story:

I signed up for Music 105 "Introductory" Music Theory, this spring, cause I would like to learn to read music to expand my horizons as a bass player.

Well....THE CLASS IS FILLED WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN IN MARCHING BAND OR ORCHESTRA FOR LIKE 5-6 (or more) YEARS. *** are they doing in a class for "Introductory" music theory for NONMAJORS!!!!! Of course, they already know most of the subject material.

The average grade on the test was an 89/100. Talk to Peter McFerrin about what the average grades on some of the hard tests here are. For example, in freshman year honors math (Calc II), I got a 110/200 on the final. THAT WAS AN A. The average grade on the test was 79/200. Another good one, from Chem 357 (Organic Chemistry I); the third main test had a average grade of 42/100, with a standard deviation of 29. This means, literally, it was impossible to fail without getting a negative score, and that an A was a 60/100. I got a 39, and still got a B-.

Anyways, I've probably decided to learn music theory AT MY OWN PACE by dropping the class and reading the books, seeing as this POS college makes you hate subjects in which you love the subject material.

UGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    They might have had to take that class as a "remedial" to make it into the higher-level theory classes.

I know all about class averages - I remember courses in which half the class usually flunked and the average on tests was somewhere around 30%! :eek:
  3. yeah, i took band for 4 years and never memorized scales so i dropped out and learned it all on my own. i recommend that way. sucks about the class though.
  4. I had a similar experience 25 years ago when I took an intro to theory course in college. There were many very experienced musicians in the class although they weren’t music majors. Fortunately, my former band teacher who had gone back to school to get his Masters taught it. I think I got a B although I don’t remember a thing about it. I learned more about theory from reading Jazzbo’s article than I ever did in that class.
  5. yeah, im taking AP music theory next year. AWAHHH!!!
  6. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    That was the same thing in my high school theory class. The teacher moved ridiculously fast because everyother person than mysleft has been in some form of the schools musical program for at least 3 years, at least! Not to mention the teacher was a huge dick. My mom had to get involved with the teacher and a couple of my schools principals. If things wouldnt have gotten resolved with that teacher it would have put a definate damper on me wanting to continue learning theory.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Chris, can you check back with that class in a week or so? You might get squeezed in if someone cancels. Is that Possible?

When I took "Beginning Jazz Guitar" in college, I was squeezed in. There where "Players" in this class, showing me a thing or two even before the instructor started class. These guys had all the licks, and runs, and where noodling all up and down the neck. ("What the heck where they doing in a beginner class?" that's what I asked myself.)

The very next week, the "players" hadn't done their homework. I'm talking, playing a C major, and an A minor scale in 6 different places on the neck. We're talking some thing relatively simple for an experienced "player". For one of these guys an hour or 2 of practice, maybe?

By the 4th week all the "players" where Gone! There were 8 people left in the class, it shrunk by about 2/3's from the first class.

It was some of the best instruction I have ever received. I'll always remember my Jazz Guitar teachers' name too. John Lawrence, WCC in Ann Arbor.