1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I hate my tech.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Deacon, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    So, I sold my Sterling HS, and when I bought it I noticed that the single coil was a little quiet. The tech said it was normal. I came on here. You guys told me it was normal.

Well, I got a call from the buyer, and he wasn't mad or anything, but told me it was way too low. So, I am gonna have to kick my tech's ass.

2. No offense or anything, but this thread just sounds like you are bragging that you have a tech...

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Learn to do the stuff the tech does. Then you can do this stuff and not have to worry about it. When I learned to do my own setups, it did 2 things for me. I can get my perfect setup, and I can set up other people's guitars for money.

4. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    i get my MAIN bass set up once a year if i'm lucky, so consider yourself pretty well off you have a tech and cheer up

5. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Im not bragging I have one, its the local tech at my local music store. He really drags out everything he does. Im gonna have to learn how to solder wires I guess.

6. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Tell the buyer to raise the pickup?

Might help.

Every bass I've had that has a single coil pickup in addition to a humbucker (split or not) was always quieter.

That's what leads me to believe that the buyer should just raise that pickup, always worked for me.

-Benny

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i think people are not understanding what he means when he says tech. it's clear that he doesn't have a guitar tech that is HIS guitar tech for when he goes on tour with huge bands. it's probably just some dude who works at a guitar store and does set ups.

here is something i've learned. take what a "tech" says with a grain of salt. if you have a $1300 instrument, you should learn a little about it...things like how a pick up height adjusts volume. maybe it's best if you don't have a sterling.

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    the buyer knew it was too low. not the volume, the pickup.

9. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    No, actually, I knew about pickup height. But they told me it was normal, so I didn't fuss with it. I know basic stuff like that. I don't know electronics. And yes my tech, is at a local guitar shop.

10. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I caught that the second time I read it. Was going to fix my post but you chimed in quickly :D

-Benny

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    then why did you sell it based on a low output of a pup?

i don't know, i don't know why i'm even posting.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    :D

13. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I love my tech. He changes my strings every day, lugs around both my Ampeg 8x10s, checks the bias on my SVTs once a month, and irons my shirts 30 minutes before each show.

I suspect you should hate EB/MM for designing an MM/J systems that is unbalanced, not your tech.

14. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Because, everyone told me it was normal. So, I assumed it was supposed to be low. Silly me, I thought that the tech knew what he was talking about.

15. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Well it is, that's why you raise the pickup...

16. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i've tech'd for people, and you got it good. I would NEVER iron someone's shirt.

but hell, I work for free, for friends.

17. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    No, they told me the output was fine.

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    So, you let a bunch of people who have never heard your bass tell you that it sounds like it is supposed to sound and you believed them?

Huh.

19. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's been known since the 50's that a humbucker is louder and fuller than a single coil. But you can:
    -adjust the single coil up so it's louder
    or
    -adjust the humbucker down so the volume is a better match

20. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Careful, some of us actually are "techs" and dislike that terminology. We're not YOUR property :scowl:

Read post #13, second paragraph :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.