1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I hate plagiarism.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ELG60, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think I’m missing the correlation between your thread title and the parody ad you posted…

JRA likes this.
  3. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Someone posted what I believe to be the same rant here on TB several days ago. It appears that someone saw it, stole it and posted as their own.

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  4. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

maybe the poster was trying to 'share' the humor. i "plagiarize" jokes i like just to pass them on. you don't?

mcnach and HolmeBass like this.
  6. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I always attempt to give proper attribution. Of course, there are some jokes which have been in circulation for so long that it's nigh on impossible to determine the originator, but this was the theft of intellectual property. Writers find that to be...uncool.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

for a joke? i think you're joking! :laugh:

mcnach and Quinn Roberts like this.
  8. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    "I hate plagiarism."

Me Too:D

9. "Intellectual property rights refers to the general term for the assignment of property rights through patents, copyrights and trademarks. These property rights allow the holder to exercise a monopoly on the use of the item for a specified period." - liberated from OECD.org

So, if the original poster didn't patent, copyright, or trademark the attempt at humor before throwing it out on the internet for all to see, then there's no infringement at all.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

MattZilla, JRA and LBS-bass like this.
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A creative work is copyrighted at the time it is fixed in a medium. No registration is required, but proving date of creation or authorship is often difficult. Also, since money is what makes things happen, if there is nothing of value to the creation, on a practical basis there's nothing to argue about.

A new, original joke typed into a post in a Talkbass forum is technically copyrighted and is the intellectual property of the poster at the time the post is published (at that point it exists in a fixed medium and both date and authorship can be proven), but there is really nothing of value to argue about because on a practical basis there is no "thing of value" to be argued.

So on a practical basis, nothing to see here - move along.

11. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Blatant humour theft. Of course as this has absolutely never ever happened before, we are all bound to be shocked and horrified...

12. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    "So I heard this joke from The Chicken the other day..."

13. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I heard a good one half asleep early this morning from Buddy Hackett, who somehow came up on my youtube stream:

A husband is sick and sees the doctor, who requests a followup not with the husband, but with the man's wife.
    "What's the diagnosis, Doctor?" she asks.
    "I won't candy-coat it," the Doc says. "Your husband is very fragile, his life in the balance. Way too much stress! You've got to do everything you can to turn
    it around before it's too late. You've got to make a committed effort. I'm talking three home-cooked meals a day, and sex a minimum of four days a week. Got it? Three home-cooked meals a day, sex four times a week."

Wife is pensive on the train ride home. When she walks in, the husband anxiously asks: "What did the Doctor say?"

"He said you're going to die."

14. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Plagiarism is a bit of a lofty term for what the internet commonly refers to as copypasta...

15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Oh my goodness. How many facebook likes is it going to cost me for all those Nantucket limericks I posted if I get sued?

16. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
  17. Copyright is *automatically* granted upon the creation of a work. Registering the copyright with US Copyright Office is just a good way to possibly win any legal challenges you might suffer, or wish to bring against someone infringing your copyright, but is in not way needed. You have the copyright at the instant that you have created a work.

mcarp555 likes this.
  18. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Winga dinga

19. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Well the internet has rather opened the floodgates of plagiarism or even outright IP theft...

20. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    sheeesh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.