1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I hate plays and musicals. Am I uncultured?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Or am I not alone in this?

well...except for Tommy and The Wall.

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Not necessarily. If some "cultured" fool tries to feed you a crap sandwich and you don't take it, it doesn't mean you're not a gourmet!:D

Personally, I've never gotten the whole Broadway musical thing. I was dragged to Cats once and I was embarrassed for everyone there, including myself.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    No, I hate plays and musicals too. The only play I will watch is Hamlet.

4. Oh man you can't hate them all!

What about Grease, or Fame or Oliver?

5. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    the only "real" play i've seen is Rent. and the amount of crying chicks and boys singing along to 'season of change' made me vow never to go back to the theater ever again.
    oh, i saw chicago too, but that was because someone else wanted to go (and paid for my ticket).

i tend to like more off-beat shows - like blue man group and stomp. i wouldn't mind seeing Mamma Mia, just for the nostalgia factor.

generally speaking, tho'...not a fan.

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Willy Wonka is OK and some others.

But it pains me to see the local Opera House.

I'm mad. Sing a song. I'm happy. Sing a song. I'm jealous. Sing a song. Mad again. Time to sing.

I really really understand your postion because I share it. The overacting and the over-emphasis on emotions.

I refuse to go to them at this point.

7. Go and see Avenue Q and then tell me you don't like musicals. :D

There's a load of musical theatre that's just utter dross, but some of the classics are worth seeing just for some of the talent involved and their production values - Phantom Of The Opera comes to mind. As for plays, again, there's a load of pretentious rubbish out there, but if you can get to see a decent production of one of Shakespeare's serious works (Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet, etc) they can be pretty powerful.

8. I've been dragged to Broadway as well. :rollno: I've seen some good plays. I can really appreciate the acting and how they work the stage props, etc. I never really cared for musicals or Opera:confused: I've been in Florida almost 12 years and never once found myself missing Broadway :eyebrow:

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I can't stand musicals, except when I'm in the pit. For some reason, I LOVE playing pit gigs - it definitely keeps you on your toes, musically speaking. But I'd rather gouge out my eyes than to actually GO to one.

On the other hand, I'd rather go see a production of Shakespeare than do anything else, just about. You Atlanta guys who haven't been to the Shakespeare Tavern don't know what you're missing. My wife and I went once, and I bought season tickets that night!

10. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I enjoyed The Phantom of the Opera, because Paul Stanley was playing the Phantom for that summer.

I dig The Wizard of Oz, because it's such a classic.

And Grease... well... as cheesy as it is, it's all about the CARS for me!

After that, can't stand the cheesiness of musicals. West Side Story, Les Miserables, Cats, Starlight Express.... not for me.

Not enough explosions and lasers and headbanging for me.

11. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Anyone see "The Lion King" performance? I'm talking about the really good one that toured the world, not other crappy imitation ones... Not a fan of musicals, but MAN that was a good show.

12. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Every good Broadway needs green lazers that blind the crowd, cars and toxic barrels exploding, a soundtrack composed completely of Pantera, and free drinks. :cool: :D

13. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I'm as cultured as cottage cheese.

Smell worse, too.

14. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    I did see Lion King in Tornonto, then again on tour in Detroit .. both were good.

I'm a fan of a lot of the "new" classic ones ...

I've seen a number of times:

Phantom of the Opera
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    Les Miserables (my personal favorite)
    Cats
    Tommy
    Grease
    Joseph and the Technicolor Raincoat (least favorite)
    Starlight Express

and others ....

only thing I hate about seeing these is i'm 6'5" 280lbs .. sitting in chairs at old theaters sucks!!!

15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    It doesn't make you uncultured. But according to popular myth, it does make you......wait for it.......

Heterosexual :ninja: :)

16. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    I don't think appreciation for musical theater is really a good gauge of cultural awareness. On the hierarchy of performing artistry, musical theater is somewhere between miming and puppet shows, as far as I'm concerned.

If you can't see a value in dramatic theater, like "death of a salesman" or "a doll house," that's one thing. But "Oklahoma" is not a cultural highwater.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Musical theater is the lowest form of communication.

18. Not enough car chases in musical theater to hold my attention.

19. Ever seen any Gilbert & Sullivan? That's entertaining stuff. How about Guys and Dolls?

20. Come on, what could you possibly hate about this?
    61lkJKuh4%2BL._AA240_.

:bag:

By the way, according to today's news, that show was the most-watched telecast in basic cable history. :eyebrow: