1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I hate roller coasters. There, I said it.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Seriously, no joking. This is going to be hard to admit to publicly because as a grown man and father of three it's embarrassing as hell to be honest, but I'm a big wimp when it comes to amusement park rides. "Wimp" is probably a weak word for it, roller coasters terrify me. :rollno:
    I mean, I don't like heights and I utterly despise the feeling of falling. Because of that, and because of being forced to go on roller coasters and other crazy rides when I was a kid, I think that I might have a real and actual phobia. It's not just "wow that looks scary" type of thing, its actual sweating, vertigo and shaking at the thought of going on something like that. ARGH it sucks!
    My oldest son works at a big amusement park in my area and he and my middle son dragged me there last night. He has connections to get us on pretty much any ride without a long wait time, and all they did was go roller coaster hopping while I stayed and waited for them. It's kind of frustrating because they were like "come on dad, this one's awesome!' But I pussied out of every one except the log flume and the ski lift/sky chair thing. Which also incidentally spazzed me out because we were high in the air on the thing. Now I feel like crap for being a chicken..:(
    Anyone else experience this and if you overcame it, how did you do so? Or am I the only one??

2. i'm scared of heights and wont go on the crazy looping twisting roller coasters.. i do like the good old standard wooden roller coasters tho.

3. As a coaster enthisiast, I can only say: :scowl:

:D

Hey, if it doesn't feel good, don't do it. Coasters are not a sign of a tough guy or not. If someone gives you greif about it, grab a lighter and do a Mr. Joshua thing with holding your arm in the flame. That'll shut them up.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I don't care for them much either. The crazy spinny twisty ones....forget about it. Not a chance I get on one of those no matter how old I am or how many kids I have.

I overcame it by not going to theme parks or carnivals.

-Mike

5. oh yeah, have the feeling, but i don't want to overcome it...i embrace it...won't ride one.

about 4 years ago, we went to orlando, and went to disney world, busch gardens and sea world.

i rode every roller coaster there with my son (the one who now plays bass, that i love to bore you all bragging on...:D)

i did it, not because i wanted to conquer my fears, but simply to introduce him to an aspect of the world that he might like.

when we finished, i told him, never ask me to ride one again, i don't like them and my feet are now securely planted on mother earth...he understands.

davesignatureII-1.

6. my girlfriend has neck/back/migraine/seizure problems so i thought i was exempt for life from ever being forced onto a rollercoaster i dont want to go on. turns out my 6 year old loves them, the faster, twistier, and generally crazier the better.

7. Relic, come to Cleveland, we'll go to Cedar Point, the Mecca of coasters. You can crash at my pad.

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Avoiding them altogether of course is an option. But to be honest, my wife + all my kids love them, (even my 6 year old as well), so that pretty much leaves me as the only party pooper. I would honestly love to be able to enjoy them as much as everyone else seems to.

Maybe someday if I overcome this goofiness.
    I have a coworker who runs a coaster club here in NJ. They actually travel all over the country and ever internationally to ride coasters... geezus I cant even get on one 20 mins from my house!

9. Come on out to Cedar Point. We'll get you on some real hair-raisers and you'll begin to enjoy them.

At least I'll be able to enjoy you trying to get to like them, LOL.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You sad, sad man. j/k

I love roller coasters myself. I was scared of them when I was younger, but at some point I lost the fear and now theyre exhillirating.
    Cant wait for the new year to start so I can get my year long Six Flags pass.

11. You have an open invitation to my pad if you want to do Cedar Point. It;'s about an hour from my house.

12. I get really freaked out on my first or second coaster of the day, then I get over it. I spent a whole weekend when I was 18 riding coasters in Vegas, and that really helped me.

However... I do not do haunted houses at all. We have a bunch in KC, and I ****ing refuse. Too claustrophobic if you're normal sized, and I'm way bigger than that.

13. I completely hate being scared. hate it. although yesterday I spent all day researching slender man. freaky stuff. i also love horror rock bands.. so i dont know.. maybe i should be a starburst commercial. i am one juicy contradiction.

14. I don't understand the appeal of roller coasters. Stand in a long line and pay money to be frightened and nauseous? I'd pay money NOT to be frightened and nauseous.

15. I promise to never make you nauseous or frightened. PM me for an address you can send a bank certified check to for this service.

:bag:

16. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I don't like them.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    LOL, now there's my saving grace - haunted houses and stuff like that don't phase me in the least. I know what you mean about being claustrophobic places though. Some of them are nuts. The fire hazard aspect bothers me more than any fake ghoul or zombie.

18. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I'm terrible with heights, even 2nd floor balcony action is a white knuckle affair for me, but I LOVE roller coasters and I love flying. I don't understand it myself.

My fav coasters are the ones with extreme drops and air time ( butt comes out of the seat ). The Giant Dipper in Santa Cruz has excellent air time for an old wood coaster but man I Jones for the ones I see on discovery channel.

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Stand in line for an hour or more to get thrown around for 2 minutes or so...no thanks.

20. being up a 6 foot ladder freaks me out, but i love shingling roofs.