Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I hate snow.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, ok, I hate the freezing rain/snow/hail/sleet combo we're getting right now here in Portland. About 2 feet of is next the windfall that is my car.

I love the northwest dearly, but it's Jan-Feb that I don't like. Durn weather.

I shouldn't have to drive in this, but I had to run out to the airport (a 10 minute drive turned 45 each way), then waited 2.5 hours only to find out my sister is stuck in Salt Lake City overnight. And things are going to be worse tommorrow.

Don't you just LOVE driving in inclimate weather?

And yay for no chains, studs, and a 2 wheel drive vehicle. I'ma get chains as soon as it's safe.

Craptacular January, yessir.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I have never seen snow :(//:)

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It just finally stopped snowing here. We have over one foot right now. It hasn't been like this in years. Kids love it. I don't mind it. I just hate driving in it.

I think I am going to walk down to the coffee shop now.

-Mike

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hear that!

On the upside, my college is closed too, so I'm probably not going to miss any school tommorrow when I pick her up. Shoot, if she makes it in tommorrow at all. Stupid plane, if it'd come in yesterday, things would have been uber peachy. Just a bit windy and nippy. Today, and for the next week? Nooooooo.

Dave: you're not missing anything. What people need to see are mountains. I know a girl from FL, she went up to NY to visit a campus. She got out of the plane, and pointed out the window of the terminal
    "What the hell is that!?"
    "What?"
    "That...gray thing."
    "The control tower?"
    "No! That gray thing, in the sky."
    "Vanessa, that's a mountain."
    "Holy ****!"

Snow is overrated.

5. Try living in Minnesota! Snow and cold (wind chill today, -30 degrees)

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Snow is -7 pizzlestain

white poo

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The guy i bought my Godin from lives there and due to the weather he wasnt able to ship the bass until yesterday... 9 days after i paid him!

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lived in Alaska. I know all about waay below freezing. It'd get down to -60 at least once a winter. Coldest while I was there was -80.

Heck, they only wouldn't let play outside if windchill was -20 or below. So at -16, we were rocking the outdoor lunch reccess.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I used to live just outside of Whitefish, Montana. Spent some time in Havre as well. This snow, and low 30's to mid 20's weather is no big deal.

I just got back from the neighborhood coffee shop. It sits on a street corner near a round-a-bout. The round-a-bouts were just put in only a couple months ago, so everyone is still "learning" how to drive around them. My wife, son, and I got a good laugh as we watched people trying to navigate the round-a-bout on a sheet of ice.

-Mike

10. our winters been fine we get less and less snow every year but this year i have to walk to school so im glad the snow isnt a over an inch deep yet.

11. That's where I live. Kodiak Alaska. There's no snow up here right now, there's a ton on the mainland and interior, but sadly, none here. I love driving in the stuff....there's nothing better than finding a deserted field, flipping into 2WD and spinning and sliding around in a pickup truck!

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I lived in a podunk town (like there are any other kind in AK...) about hour west of Seward and East of Soldotna. Cooper Landing. Don't worry if you've never heard of it.

Lived there for the first 12 years of my life, then WA, then FL, now here in OR. It's still a far cry from AK.

13. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I dont mind driving in snow and ice. It just requires being alot more aware of other drivers.

Not that there's any competition in the US to alaska, but I go to school in Albany, NY, and we have some wicked cold spells there (~10 during the day, -5ish at night).

I can deal with snow, but it would be nice if snow was warm :D

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I live about an hour south of Albany. :D

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ehh, i'm stuck at work looking at a submarine...the guy that was supposed to be here is stuck in some snow over in federal way...munky...

16. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Brendan, just be glad you don't live out in the Gorge right now. I don't know when I'll be able to get back to work, might be next week. Last Mon. was supposed to be my first day back, after 8 months off. I'd chance the drive, but my bosses won't, and don't want me to. This is nothing compared to living in northern VT, but people react a lot differently here.

17. The snow in the northwest was welcome when I was a snowmobiler... we looked forward to every weekend of riding :) .

No snowmobile now. That's ok - we were blessed with a child and we don't have much time to miss snowmobiles. :D

Winter driving.... ah, yes. Most of my family learned to drive with snowy winters and cope with compact snow & ice. We love our 4 wheel drives this time of year... :cool:

A friend gave me a well-used snowblower (spent the afternoon trying to revive it). Finally got it started, but I had to keep my finger pushing the primer button to keep it running.

RRRRRRRrrrrrr(press press on the primer button)
    RRRRRRRrrrrrr(press press)

It would have been less work to just shovel the damn snow. If I could keep the snowblower running, it would be just pimp to do our driveway and the neighbors too. :)

18. Compared to you I feel as if I've been in a heatwave of sorts...it was a balmy +9F today as a high.
    -30---->Ugly, Ugly, Ugly.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And I thought it was supposed to be British people who were obsessed with the Weather!!?? ;)

20. well send your snow this way, im dying to get out of school some more!