Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I HATE STICKING!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Seems like after playing a little while humidity level of my hands is just right to prevent easy sliding. Seems like my fingers would rather roll up the fretboard, you know? Gets so annoying but I don't want to make a mess of my bass by slicking or dusting it up. How do you stay loose, powder? Oil? Let go of the neck to move up, or what?

2. O man, no! No powder...Where did you get that idea?!?!? Anyway, make sure to wash your hands with soap/water. It doesn't have to be a thorough job, just maybe a 7 second wash. Then wipe your hands off on your pants. I have noticed that it eliminates any stick caused by my hands.

3. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Do i have to dry my hands on my pants or can i use a towel? lol

4. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Oh man I hate this too!! I had an out of town gig once (~3hrs driving) where I had my bass sitting in my gigbag in a hot truck for a couple hours. When we got to the place, the cool air conditioning must have made condensation on the strings because I was sticking all over the place.. FL's humidity levels dont help either.. :scowl:

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I keep my neck all slicked-up with FingerEase. A little bit'll do ya!

One small problem I have with that is that since I've been fretboard hammering more (recently learning), it sometimes makes my finger tips slip off the strings - for that, a little bit of 'stick' wouldn't be too bad!.

Joe

6. If you can afford towels, you're already amking too much money.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Are any or all of you using Stainless Steel strings?
    I ask 'cause S/S strings feel 'sticky' to me right outta the box.