Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I hate the government.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Feb 3, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    (rant)

Ok, the story goes like this. I had my license taken away last summer because I went ONE point over the limit after getting my third ticket. The vast majority of people who exceed their points in CO for the first time get a red license which lets them drive to work and school, BUT NOT ME. Also, instead of the standard 6 month suspension they give me 7 months. Why?? I have no idea. Also, it took 8 MONTHS to process my paperwork and suspend my license in the first place, which put my suspension in a much worse timeframe. I called the DMV last week and check to see what I need to get my license back. They say $40 reinstatement fee and proof of insurence. My suspension ended over the weekend, so I go in today to get my license back. The guy that gives you your wait # and checks for your info says i'm ok, so I proceed to wait. 2 1/2 hours later, I get my # called and the people at the front desk tell me my company policy certificate isn't good enough!! They said my name specifically has to be on the car's policy and that a company name isn't sufficient. They didn't say this on teh phone or at teh front of the line when I got my #. I wasted my whole morning and half the afternoon for nothing! I try to talk to them on the phone and they keep giving me the same BS that my company insurence isn't good enough. The company policy is all I have ever had! How do they expect an 18 year old who doesn't own a car and has no license to afford $3,000+ for his own private policy??? I have to work to afford my own insurence, but I can't work unless I have my license! Apparently when they made this new state statute, they didn't think of this and though it would be funny to screw over a lot of people that made a few mistakes. I did my time! I rode the bus for over half a year and paid for few speeding tickets! Why do they have to do this to decent people? Has anyone else had a problem like this with the government? :mad:
    Sorry guys, thanx for letting me let loose.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well let me clarify. That is not the goverment as in Federal Govt. You are very much dealing with a local/state thing. So its not the man keeping you down. Its your own hood keeping you down.

which inturn you are in more power to make a difference. So take the power back and vote...or something.

Goodluck!

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I do vote, and I know its the state government, but its still the government. My state rep will hear of this, but its not like he's going to give a rip about it.

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well no one ever said govt. policies make sense but...three speeding tickets by 18? That's dangerous man...I mean they take away your license to hopefully teach you a lesson and keep the streets safer. I'm sure you're a good person but you should slow down man...

That being said you should have gotten your license back if you were told you would be able to. If your insurance was fine before it should be fine now. It might possibly just be govt. employees who have no idea what they are doing. It wouldn't be a first that is for sure. :)

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    2 speeding tickets, one illegal left turn :D, believe me, I have learned my lesson.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

on a side note its these decent people that dont learn there lesson the first time and end up killing someone or hurting someone.

Im not saying you are one of these people. But some people dont learn with just a slap on the wrist.

But when dealing with the DMV it always sucks. No matter what you go there for. Make out a will and pack a lunch because who knows when you will be getting some help and getting home with license in hand.

Remember the Primus tune DMV?? That one sums it up!!

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    lol..too true odie. And i was surprised at the wait because the last 2 times i went to the DMV i got out of there in a little under an hour. Our immigrant population is growing very quickly and, and they mke up the vast majority of the persons there. (no negative implications intended)

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Heh...this topic reminds me of the seinfeld where Jerry and Elaine are discussing what percentage of the public is attractive and therefore "Dateable." Jerry first says 5% while Elaine says he's way off and that its more like 25%. Jerry responds with "25%? Have you been to the DMV lately? It's like a leper colony."

It's a mean joke but it always struck me as funny (especially if you've been to the DMV ;) )

9. Da man is da man, wherever you be! Solid! :D

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I remember that, it was hilarious. If Seinfeld is right aboutit htough, only .5% of the population looks dateable, lol.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Of course, your own behavior had nothing to do with what happened. Why not grow up and accept responsibility for your actions?

12. you know what i would do? not get so many tickets. you broke the law. you choose to live where you live. so you have to deal with the reprocusions. move to another country if you don't like the governement in your current one. if you don't like any, you can go live on international waters. there are rules established to protect society as a whole, and if you choose not to obey - and put other people in danger, then you should be punished. end of story. they can't bend the rules for you, so don't whine. and as for other people getting treated different - i don't know if you have ever heard the following phrase, although i sure hope you have. "LIFE ISN'T FAIR, GET OVER IT."

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, it could be worse - you could've hit someone speeding instead of just getting a ticket. then you might have to live with the fact that your foolishness cost someone else their life.

14. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I think everyone has missed teh part where I did say that I did my time and paid the penalty!!!! The only reason I'm ticked off is because of ridiculous restrictions that won't let me have my license back. I could have gone on forever about the one point thing-if I would have given more info on it it woudl ahve made sense due to the extreme inconsistency of the process of revocation, limited licenses, etc. I never denied that I didn't deserve to pay what I did for screwing up in teh first place. My point was, I served my punishment and now some small catch in the law won't let me have my license back. And NO I didn't choose where I live. I cannot afford to choose where I live at this point. Also, I never asked anyone to bend the rules for me, and I realize life ain't fair, I jsut ask for a shred of consistency. I highly doubt everyone of you went exactly the speed limit at all times when you were a teen either, I jsut happened to get caught more than some else, that's life.. I don't ahve that quote in my sig for nothin. Sorry to get all pissy about everything, but everyone seems to be overlooking what I admitted and only looking at the fact that I made a mistake.

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That's kinda disturbing Amadeus..lol..

And guys, sorry if I sound like a reckless kid about this thing, like I said I screwed up and I deserved a lot of it. I have been extremely stressed lately about several thigns that beleive it or not, really weren't my fault, and this was just the last straw so to speak. I realize (most of you) are speaking from experience or age and don't have a lead foot, but I lose it sometimes cause I haer the same thing from a lot of peopel that do 20 over everywhere they go and think tehy are so great and I'm evil cause I got caught and they didn't. My point was more or less, if oyu get thrown in jail to serve 5 years or whatever, it would be a load of bull if they kept you in there extra time cause of paperwork problems, or something like that. PS- my license suspensension was only 7 months, But I did clean it up awhile before then, and haven't really pushed 5 over in a good 16 or more months.

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It might suck for you, but the citizens of Aurora are a little safer. I'm glad my family doesn't have to share the streets with you. I have been driving for 35 years and I haven't accumulated that many tickets.

17. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    You wouldn't want to live here I'm thinkin..90% of the people on the road go as fast I used to and the cops just pull over people arbitrarily. Denver/ metro is in the top 5 highest insurence rates in the US for a reason. and once again. not justifying my actions...I'm about to delete this thread because everyone has selective hearing...how many times you gotta admit you messed up before peopel start listening?

18. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    so you are still speeding?

P@

19. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    When was the last time you drove more than 10 minutes without going 2 mph over the speed limit? Woops went down hill, everyone is gonna die cause I didn't ahve the cruise control on..:rolleyes:

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, good luck with it anyway - i know how much the dmv sucks.

isn't there a class you can take to get the points reduced on your licence?