i hate the metallic/twangy sound my bass makes..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Anyone have any advise? I dont wanna hear that metallic sound when my strings hit my frets. I also hate the twangy sound my G string and even my D string make. I want a phat, low, rumbly sound outta my ESP-5. Any help??
  2. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    What type of strings do you use? I've found that the stings make huge differences in that respect.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Get a set of flatwounds! Thatll give you your desired sound QUICK! And youll have no metallic sound! Done!
  4. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Cool, thanks guys.
  5. If it turns out that you dislike flatwound strings, (as i do) go for a set of nickel strings and let them wear in for a little. steel strings take longer to get rid of that metallic tone, but last longer.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would disagree with the last part - I have found that Nickel strings last much longer than Stainless Steel ones. I used steel ones all through the 80s and most of the 90s and had to change them every month or so. Since I discovered Nickel strings, though, I now find that after 6 months they still sound just as good. Even sets I have discarded after this time have still sounded good. I gave a used set to a pro Jazz bass player and he was so happy with my "discarded" set that he used it for a CD he was recording!
  7. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Another vote for Flats to fix your problem.Try Thomastik Jazz Flats.
  8. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    i myself am a flatwound afficionado, but i could see how not everyoen would like 'em - afterall to each his own. If you find you don't like them, you can try boosting your bass and midrange, as well as experimenting with your plucking. When i first started on bass, for the first year or so of my development that exact sound you talk about drove me nUtS!! but i played around with my plucking hand and found a way to at least lower that sound to a minimal if not totally eliminate it. the only way to find out is to fool around for yourself with strings and settings and all that jazz.

later- JP
  9. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Yep, chrome flats are what you need.
  10. Strong left, soft right.
    Fretting fingers firmly on the fretboard, a feather light touch on the plucking.

Let that 1200 WATT amplifier you just bought do its job and amplify the sound to a thunderous volume -). Your job is to send it a pure, uncolored, unclakkity sound.

I feel for you partner. I almost gave up on bass for that very reason.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There is of course another way round this, which also helps you get variety of tone. If you want the warm rounded tone, then play high up the neck on the lower strings. For example, if you are playing F to G, then don't start on the D string - 3rd fret F, but at the 8th fret on the A string. Or even better at the 13th fret on the E string.

This is one of the big benefits of a 5 string, the sound at the 10th fret on the B is really "phat low and rumbly" - but can also be applied to 4.

So you keep the G string for when you really want the twangy sound for effect - slap/pluck or a solo that stands out, for example and play mostly higher up on the lower strings and use all your bass - far more efficient! ;)