I hate to ask, but....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sigkill, Mar 31, 2004.

1. :help: I read the string FAQ, followed the links, and did a search, but I still feel compelled to ask for a string recommendation. I'm a n00b, so some of the links I went through and read a few times to make sure I was following at least slightly. Ok then, in accordance with the FAQ;
    1. The basses I need strings for are a Squier Standard Series 5 string and an Ibanez EDB 400 4 string.
    2. I have no real playing style, but I don't use a pick if that helps.
    3. I don't play a certain kind of music yet either as I play only parts of super easy tabs from different songs, but I do know that I like the sound of the Squier's highs better and the Ibanez's low's better (if I could combine the sounds I'd be in heaven). The Squier as a whole has more of a guitar (perhaps bright and crisp) sound to it, while the Ibanez definitely has more of a boom or low (what I'm guessing you guys mean by warm) sound to it. The boomy sound of the Ibanez is great for the E and A strings, but the D and G strings (particularly when played past the fifth fret) sound just horrificly hollow and unclear. I crank the treble to the max on both the bass and the amp, but it's still not the clear bright sound I get and like from the Squier.
    4. The amp I use is nothing great, just an Ibanez Sound Wave 35.

OK, now that I got that out I hope at least some of it makes a bit of sense. lol Anyway, I was hoping somebody might be able to recommend some strings that give the Ergodyne clearer highs and the Squier somewhat boomier lows. In any event, thanks to all who answer and sorry to ask a question you guys hear a thousand times over. Now I'll run and :bag:
  2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    "DR strings" makes a wide variety of strings, and they have a good reputation, so you could feel comfortable with almost any of their products. You could search the string archives here for "Hi-Beams, Lo-Riders, Sunbeams, or Fat Beams", and find plenty of opinions and descriptions of there various tones.
  3. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Well, I think that no one will jump on you since you atleast tried to search for... something....

This is some of the fun times in your long career!!!(hopefully long) My advice. Try them all! Keep trying different brands and types. Buy thicks, thins, nickel, steel, round, flat..... The world is your oyster. As you play with different strings you'll see what you like, what feels good and what sounds good to you.

All the above mentioned strings are widely excepted strings, but don't stop there. Let give the strings time to break in, you might hate them. If you do replace them. Change a few things, find what you like and soon you'll soon find your thing. I personally like thinner strings, but many people like them thick. That's the beauty of this, it's all a matter of style, which you might not have now, but you'll work your own out.

Man, I'm getting excited for you :p Of course, I've played for years and still haven't settled on one string type myself, but I wish I could go back to work harder and enjoy some of the little things more when I first started.

Anyways, you're still learning, so regardless of what strings you use, you're going to sound half-assed at best with rattles and cracks, so I would just experiment with some el-cheapo strings ;) Have fun, and incase you might have over looked it
    that's the Strings FAQ, if you haven't already, I would check out all those links and suck up all the knowledge you can. Remember, musicians are like sharks. Learning is you're swimming, and when you stop swimming, or learning in our case, you die! :)
  4. Thanks for all the helpful replies and suggestions guys. I had done some research on here into the DR line of strings, because my favorite bassist happens to use them, and after your replies I decided to go ahead and give them a try. The main reason I decided to ask for a recommendation was the Ibanez, I thought there might be a certain kind of string that sounded better with it than others, being it isn't made out of wood. Anyway, there are only three music stores within a 30 minute drive of me, so I'm going to go check them out today and I think I'll try the Sunbeam's first if they have them.
  5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    DR high beams sound fantastic on my EDB605 (also a "luthite" Ergodyn)
    DR low riders (on the Ergo) I didn't like as well when fresh, but broken in sound nice enough.

I enjoy Ernie Ball strings on all of my basses. They are inexpensive and widely available. Try the lighter gauge Super Slinkies (pink package) or the standard Slinkies (green package)

the following is the best advice I've seen in a while:

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I...well, I guess "third" what Perfect-Tommy said. I did this, and after about a year or so, I settled on Thomastik-Infelds, but I found a lot of really nice strings in the process (I'm also going to reccomend Ernies, I found them GREAT for the price). Try as many as you can!