1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I hate to be "that guy"...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bui, Apr 12, 2009.

1. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    ...but I'm going to start a noob-ish thread*.

I have a 2000 MIM fretless Fender J-bass. A guy wants to trade me his ESP B-205 for it. Would you trade away the Fender?
    I'm in the market for a 5-string anyways, and it seems like the ESP is more suited for the type of music I play...however, I don't know if is in the same pricepoint as the Fender. Both are in comparable condition.

*I've been on various mountain biking forums for years and always groan when some new guy comes in with seemingly simple/inane/redundant questions. I hate to do it here, but want to get back to the seller asap. Thanks in advance:D

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    As far as price points, check Ebay's completed auctions. That's your best guide to street value today. As far as whether you should trade, play his bass first. If you like the way it sounds and feels better than you like your J, then yes you should trade. Otherwise, no.

If you aren't able to try it before trading, then see if you can find a similar model at a local store to try out.

3. Right now they are probably fairly comparable in value (depending on the year of the ESP), but if you're thinking long term I would imagine the Fender will be worth more down the road.