i hate to do this but....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DubBeats CB, Jan 28, 2006.

1. What bass should i buy?

Here are my requirements i guess:
    5 strings

Two pickups ( active EQ, 3 band, preferably with a passive switch but passive mode is not essential though)

Tight low b string ( 35 scale would be nice but not essential because there are good 34 inch scale low b's)

I want the tone to be fat a growly, but at the same time slappable ( SP?)

Preferably a bolt-on neck.

I'd like the string spacing to be somewhat tight kinda like my six string warwick.

My main goal is for this to complete my set of basses. I currently have a six string warwick corvette and a four string bongo HH. I would like the bass to be of very high quality and for it to last a long time. I want something that can compliment my other basses since this will probably be the last one ibuy for a while. I'm going off to college next year and the funds are definitely going to be lacking.

Hopefull i made my idea clear. Please help :help:
  2. stupid me i forgot price range $ 2500 is max....anything below is very welcome though, i don't need to spend that much
  3. Ibanez BTB series, and MM sterlings come to mind...
  4. i've never been attracted to ibanez, i've played them, just doesn't have that "this is it" factor
  5. Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
    sell you my 2 month old mtd 535 for 2700
  6. gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
  7. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'll suggest this ESP B-405:

I myself have an ESP (see sig) and it is a great instrument. The 'real' EMGs make it very slappable. Only 34" scale, but the B string is tight and focused. Personally, I don't need a five string, but if I were to buy one, it would be a choice between this one, or the ESP/Ltd Deluxe five string, which is slightly more expensive (though I actually don't know why...).

Anyway, if you're interested, go to www.espguitars.com for all the specs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention... many believe ESPs are made solely for metal. I use mine in a metal band, progressive rock band, jazz band, and musical theatre pit band, and my tone has gotten compliments in each one. Very versatile, those EMGs are.
  8. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Pedulla Rapture!
  9. Elrick Gold Standard 5, picked mine for 1100$. You won't get a better "boutique" bass anywhere near this price.
  10. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Check out a conklin.
  11. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    You can't beat a Bongo! Well, actually you can, but then that wouldn't be the bass we'd be talkin' about, it would be the drum thingy and.....nevermind

You might also consider a Lakland Skyline 55-02.

12. Looking again, $2500 gives you a ton of options. Check out your fav. boutique bass store.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love my 55-02, but since $2,500 is your limit, you could get either a USA Lakland 55-94 or a nice Sadowsky Metro five. I have never played a Sadowsky, but so many TB members cannot be wrong. If you want to save some money but want a Jazz bass, I would also recommend the new Fender Victor Bailey V, it is the best looking of all the basses I mentioned with a sweet koa top and really classy gold hardware. The are running about $1,500. They look like they cost $2,500 IMO.
  14. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    My recommendation is for a Modulus Quantum 5. Great variety of tones, great playability, very well built and will hold its value. Comes with plenty of 'cool factor', too. :smug:
  15. i've played a modulus before and i liked it but the new ones are like 3 grand now..... can anyone coment on a bass like a roscoe or or maybe an f bass...those could possibly be found around my price range if i look hard enough, maybe used...
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    All Elricks have 19mm spacing standard though, so that'd be wider than what he wants.
  17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Lakland was my first thought. Don't know what the 55-94's go for, but a 55-02 is nothing to shake a stick at.
  18. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Sounds exactly like a G&L L-2500!
  19. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    You could get a used Dingwall Afterburner II. I'm not exactly sure of the pricing, but a new one might fall into your range, too. Dingwalls are spectacular basses in every respect, and have one of the best B's in the business.