Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I hate to do this - TE AH600 or Ampeg B4R?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I apologize for creating one of "these" threads ;) , but I have the chance to buy either a Trace Elliot AH600 (7 band) for $499.00 or an Ampeg B4R for $600.00, both are in comparable condition.

The upside for the Ampeg, obviously, is that it is bridgeable (a huge plus). The upside for the TE is that I *think* it might be louder, unbridged through two 8 ohm cabs (I also own an AH200, so I have experience with them and I know how loud they can be).

I am leaning towards the Ampeg, but I would like as many honest opinions as possible.

Thanks in advance!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's a pretty good deal for that trace head. i have an ah600smx (the 12 band) and i think it's fabulous.

3. Trace. Trace all the way. Before I bought my Fafner I actually bought a closeout AH300-12 from Musician's Friend, but the idiots didn't process the order correctly :rolleyes:

4. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Thanks, JT! In terms of loudness, do you have experience with the Ampeg and can you compare from an unbridged standpoint?

I have an Avatar 4x10 that I am attempting to drive (among others) and I want to make sure it gets enough juice.

Peter - yeah, I'm a big Trace fan myself, and the AH600 would compliment my AH200 (which I will use to concurrently power another cab) nicely in the rack.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know about that ampeg, but i do know that i had my trace hooked up to a 4x12" and 1x18" pa sub this weekend at a gig, and i was louder than the p.a. with the output level on 4. the ah600smx is a very loud amplifier. i don't have experience with the 7 band version.

6. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Well, I went for the Trace and actually got it for $399.00(!), so I'm pretty fired up. Many thanks for the help, guys!

7. Congrats on the Trace! Huge Trace fan myself. Enjoy!!!:D