1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I hate WaMu! Recommend me a bank!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Mar 17, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I hate WaMu bank with a burning passion.

I opened a checking account and a savings account in the beginning of February about a week before Valentine's Day and I still haven't gotten my ATM card:mad:

So now whenever I need my money I need to go to the bank as thats where my paychecks go. However, since banks close before I get out of work or school I'm constantly broke.

I've had several email discourses with WaMu customer service where they keep promising to send me the card. Well now its St. Patricks day and I'm still without a card:meh:

Can someone recommend me a bank that doesn't blow?

2. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    Bear Stearns?

Oh, wait...

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Ouch....:D

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    USAA

:D

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Weird. I love WaMu. They have several branches in my town, everyone is super friendly, and the tellers are pretty. I see no need for online banking. :D

-Mike

6. Go with something that you can do all online and charges you no banking fees. I personally wouldn't go with a US based bank, even more so with the current economic issues in the US.

lowsound

7. Hmmmm... I don't 'do' banks at all. I belong to two credit unions. Thats the better way to go in the long run. You are a "share holder", and actually own 'shares' in that institution. If you can do it, join a credit union.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Credit Unions kick ass, except when you want to use a big banking chain's ATM and have to pay fees from both the Union and the chain bank. I got a WAMU account once because I read some article painting them as less politically evil than most big banks. Unfortunately their service sucked every which way, and they hit me with some very unreasonable (and unexpected) fees, and the tellers in my local branch knew about as much about banking as Radio Shack employees do about electronics (they're just there to sell mobile phone service and remote-control toys).

My main checking account is with USBank, and while they are politically evil they are not as bad as Wells Fargo or Citi, and their service for me has actually been quite good over the years. Very reliable, good online functionality, no surprise BS.

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Well the idea was to live off of my ATM because if I got cash in my pocket I'm gonna spend it. Unfortunately its been two months and still no ATM card and I'm so broke its not even funny. I'm considering closing my account there more every day.

10. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I use HSBC online banking for my savings account. I think it is paying 3.5% right now.

11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    +1
    Try to go with a credit union. I go with a local CU called Global. I used to be with NFCU (Navy Federal Credit Union), but since there are no local branches I went with Global. Nothing but good things, but I only have a savings account.

The Fiance and I share her Savings/Debit/Checking. They let me deposit my paychecks into her account with no hassles.

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    We've had good luck/service from PNC. They pick up all the atm fees, no matter who's atm you use.

13. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    That is awesome, I use Key Bank, while the serice is good enough, their online banking is awesome, I don't actually go to the bank ever, paychecks and school refund checks are deposited directly, and I can use either my debit card or my brand new credit card to pay for poopiee.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends on the account. Their free checking still allows fees to come out of your pocket. I found this one out the hard way. $2.50 from a Bank of America machine, and PNC charged me $2.00 on top of that.

Look around see what ATM's are convenient to you, and check out those banks.

I've used Commerce and PNC with no complains. Not sure if either crosses over into NYC, but if they do, give them a gander. I also have housemates with Bank of America with no complaints.

15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I know with our account, we never pay ATM fees. Maybe because we both do direct deposit. Who knows. The 'ole ball & chain is the accountant in my house.

16. Yeah, my experience with them in Florida was positive, matter of fact, it was one of the downsides to moving up to NC - no WAMU branches! :meh:

However, BB&T has been a reasonably sufficient surrogate in the intervening 3 years. Good folks, unfortunately, no help to the OP, as they have no branches in NYC.

17. Wow, I am glad that I don't live in the states, way too many banks to choose from.

lowsound