Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I hate when guitar players need 20 effects to do a solo performance

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by de la mocha, Dec 17, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I'm sick of all these studio tricks, and electronic, computerized effects. What happened to nailing a solo with skill and making it a beautiful work of art?

What's up with all of these battle star galactica, voltron, beam me up scotty guitar solos in music lately? At least use these effects sparingly and strategically to spice up a song to add a little flavor, but why put 20 different effects on all at once, or hop from effect to effect through a 90 minute guitar solo?

Why can't guitar players be more disciplined and actually solo tastefully along with the track instead of ignoring all the music the band is playing to go off on a side mission?

It's crazy. I'm sorry but I'm just tired of the whole tremelo, overdrive, phase shifting, whammy wanking, effects processed garbage that's out lately. Does anybody feel my pain?

2. i know what you are saying, but some people are sick of the angus young/jimmy page rock guitar solo (although i'll take an eric clapton solo any day!)...plus a lot of people use effects to cover up their lack of talent, or maybe thats the way they want their song to sound...but i am kinda wondering what songs are you talking about where they use a whole bunch of effects?

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I was playing around on my roommate's PRS the other day. Plugged in direct to my firepod 100% dry. I came to this realization.

Electric guitars, innately.... sound terrible.

That is all.

OOD likes this.
  4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The last concert I went to, the guitarist spent more time adusting his sound than playing,while the rest of the band just plugged away. Made him look quite silly.
    I play guitar also, I play PRS through Marshall. No effects,IMO they are a coverup. All I need is my Marshall overdrive, and I'm happy. I know guys who can't stand to play w/o them though. Too each his own I guess.

5. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    PRS through a THD mini-stack makes me :D . Wouldn't dream of adding anything to change that sound.

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    my guitarist considers himself a purist. He only uses a Ibanez Tube Screamer(the original), an Old Boss Chorus(rarely) and a vox wah. thats it and it sounds damn good.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Not understanding how that meets any definition of purity, but whatever.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I like effects... a lot.

9. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Yes, I think dry electric guitar sounds absolutely horrible.

With that said I also really like effect-laden guitar.

10. Yup, clean guitars sound so bland. like eating bread on it's own, of course you have be able to tastefully use spreads, like you have to tastefully change a guitars signal.

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I think he means that those particular pedals are holy grails (and they are, incidentally) of many, well, "purist" guitarists who shun digital multieffects and whatnot.

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    My guitarist just bought a Line6 synth unit. The thing has something like 30 variable synths in it, and none of them sounds actually usable in a song. I consider it toys for people who want to cover up the fact that they sound like ****e.

13. The lead guitarist in my last band played through a Line 6 Pod XT to a Laney head and Marshall cabinet. He only used 4 different settings on the Pod and those were basically different levels/types of distortion depending on what song we were playing. The sound that he used most often was the "classic" Les Paul (which he played) with Marshall distortion. Our rythym guitarist played a Line 6 variax which had so many different settings that it was a little annoying to the rest of us. The only advantage to the Variax was he didn't have to bring an acoustic guitar with him.

The guitarist in my current band only uses a few Danalectro effects through a white Marshall head and Sound City cabinets. But, he has something like 30 or 40 different guitars, mostly Les Pauls and Strats.

Personally, when I played guitar, the only effects that I used were a Boss distortion, Boss chorus and Boss EQ pedals. (OK, I like Boss products. To each his own).

The bass player for one of our local bands plays through a Boss Bass effects board. Never could figure out why you would need effects on a bass.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The disease is called Tom Morello-itis. It should be fatal.

NOTHING sounds better than a guitar cranked through a vintage Fender tube amp. NO effects. Now effects do have their place, but that tone is just sublime.

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I consider Tom Morello to be one of the only guitarplayers who actually handles his effects in a cool way..

16. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    *nod*

17. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I hear you, bro!!!...Take an old Fender tele, a small 12" blackface Fender amp, crank it up...that's my favorite guitar sound, haven't heard anything that beats that sound....

18. I think you guys are just jealous because you can't make far-out whizbangy sounds. Tons of effects can be totally awesome. Just because making cool solos with effects doesn't take years of training at a Tibetan monastery doesn't mean they're cheating. If you want to go down that road then you should be criticizing them for needing to use electricity, or having an instrument at all.

19. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I agree. He doesn't even have that many effects - around 5, I think - it's the creative way he uses them that makes him sound so cool.

In my opinion, effects are essential for rock guitar. At the very least, you rarely hear a guitar played in rock music without any overdrive or distortion.

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Recorded directly? Yes. They do.

Just put them through an amp. Preferably a Fender. Clean. Then they sound incredible! Mic up a clean guitar played through a nice amp, and it's the nicest sound on earth.