1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I hate YouTube...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Mar 18, 2009.

1. ...seriously, this whole thing where they've taken off some videos is becoming annoying, if not frustrating.

Not only has it rendered my favourites close to useless but there's no indication that a video HAS been taken off. AND these same videos still show up on searches.

Man I hate YouTube...

2. P. Lacey

P. Lacey

May 15, 2008
    I distinctly recall you saying something to this exact tune before... Why don't you myspace the bands whose music you want to listen to?

3. whaaambulance.

4. Because most bands on MySpace only have a handful of songs on their profiles.

5. P. Lacey

P. Lacey

May 15, 2008
    Because as musicians, once they have had someone sample their music, they want to make some money from people's enjoyment :rolleyes:. Buy their CD if you want more than a handful of songs?

6. YOU try getting hold of Serbian/Croatian bands like Neverne Bebe and see how well you do.

No, the thing that annoys me is that even bands' official YouTube channels have been taking stuff off. I thought it was the record companies' who were making their mouths go, not the bands?

7. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    What annoys me is the way YouTube is obviously being paid to promote some videos. Like the other day, I was searching for the video to Circus by Britney Spears - the video uploaded by her official channel appears 3 times on the first page of search results. This would be fine if her official video channel was available in my country. However its not, which means that the first page of results is half full of videos which I can't watch.

And for some reason, even if I change my default country to England, it doesn't filter out videos which aren't available in my country - stupid, methinks...

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    yeah, youtube is definitely in a decline at the moment.. I don't think that there's anyone happy with it.
    My sons make silly videos and stop-motion type projects with their friends to post on youtube, they've actually had the background music blocked out by youtube on several now.. the same songs that you can search for and play all day long.

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yeah, the whole not available in your country is starting to bug me.

I'm having a lot of trouble watching Dutch and French videos :( .

10. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    It probably hates you too. :atoz:

11. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    Come on. It's free.

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Very funny. I needed a good laugh this morning. Bitch all you want. As with everything it boils down to money. As with so many good ideas, they are great at first, kind of underground, and then they get popular, and people figure out a way to capitalize on it. It's all about greed.

13. it's an odd conundrum, because youtube want to put up videos made by anyone so everyone can watch them, and because music videos are copyrighted items it technically means each time it is watched a fee (albeit small) goes to the owner of the copyright, so the PRS (performing rights society), which is a non-profit organisation try and distribute the royalties to the copyright owners/artists/whatever. The frustrating this is that youtube has said that the PRS is being unreasonable, so has taken off the official videos, which means the artists are back to square one. I'm sure the can't be asking any more of youtube than they would MTV, which is fair enough, infact that is a great deal because you can watch the videos you want to watch at any time, not just the ones that a TV company programs. So Youtube are basically kicking the artists in the face, and effectively condoning breach of copyright by allowing bootlegged videos such as live performances or ones uploaded by any random person, instead of disallowing them and only allowing the offical ones. I don't think the PRS are doing anything wrong by asking for the money after all, I'm sure some of us get occaisonal money from them. I do think Youtube/Google have been a bit petty in their response, but I suppose something was going to happen like that. Hopefully the official channels will come back soon and they'll start to catch up on the non-official (basically illegal) uploads.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Seriously. How could you hate something that offers you a near-endless amount of entertainment for free? That's just spoiled- they don't owe us anything.

15. I do pretty well :D

16. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    This thread is not about you tube,its about Fassa trying to tell us about the /b part of the quote.

17. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Is that how this works? Cuz I could care a little less about youtube, but not much more.:eyebrow:

18. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Good observation I had nearly missed that!

19. Whoops.

20. I know...I'm in the UK too.

Hang on, I thought that would have been easy for you?

Probably.

I know...:D

Wrong, and it's not my fault I like Serbian music.