Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have $1500 dollars to spare on a rig......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Aug 25, 2003.

1. with a $1500 inexpandable budget, what would be a good halfstack and head combination that'll have nice power as well as a rich defined sound full of clarity..plus.....I don't want a 2 ton halfstack as well as a 4 ton head!

2. Power/Pre rig, on a 4x10.

My dream rig?

QSCRMX1450
    Ampeg SVP Pro
    Ampeg SVT410hlf

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Not sure exactly what you mean by halfstack, as there are many different speaker combinations you could use. I think the term "halfstack" applies more to guitar, since guitarists often tend to use one or two 4x12 cabinets, while bassists more commonly use combinations of different sized speakers/cabinets.

With $1500 to spend, I'd almost definitely suggest getting a pre/power rack setup. Just something to keep in mind.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've done a bit of researching into this as that is my goal after i get a DB. 4X10 + Pre/Power would give you the option of adding more later. That's all

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Preamp/power amp is with out a doubt the answer. Getting a great power amp like the Crest LT series will give you the power you need. Then you could go with 210 & 410 or 210 and 212 or any number of cab configurations. Breaking the smaller cab off would give a small rig setup and adding the bigger cab will increase your rig size, while keeping the same rack setup and tone quality. This also is cheaper many times then a head and you get twice the quality and power!

Your welcome to ask me any question conserning rig setup and power amp/preamp setups. I deal only in combo power/pre setups and not head units by choice and I'll be happy to go into depth with you as to why!

Good luck with your search,

6. thanks so much..I actually do need help on that because the only thing I've ever done with a rig is tweak the settings...haven't really gotten into the whole head and cab combos thingie yet......I guess cuz the occassion has only started to call for more power and headroom.

7. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I just picked up this rig:

GK 1001RB II

Less than $1,400. It all fits in my VW Jetta and sounds great. The cabinet combo is very versital and I am very happy.

I would suggest going to different music stores and playing through different amps.

8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    QSC PLX1602 - $550 new, shipped (nortern sound and light)
    Aguilar GS212 - $640 new, shipped (bass central)

Look for a used Demeter or Alembic pre, you can find them for about $400-500. New, they will run you about $600-700.

This would be a sweet rig. I should know, this is my set-up. Any questions PM me. This will last you a long time as well as keep you GAS free for awhile as well. If your going to do something, do it right!

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    Wha g-string said. that sounds like a great rig.

pre/power amp is what i would go for also. unless you were going to get a mesa 400+. but hmmmm maybe

steve

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Go for a QSC PLX1602 or more.
    The Ampeg SVP-Pro is OK, but not much better than a Sansamp RBI to justify the price difference.
    I'm already looking to upgrade from my Ampeg. I used a Demeter in a rack with a QSC on the sam cabs that I use and it blew me away.

Go for a 210 or 212 to start off. Later on you can add a second cab if you need. In most cases, you probably won't need to. All the really big shows I play usually have cabs there. I've never "needed" the 2nd cab, for small-medium gigs which are about 95% of what most people play. Plus, a 210 is much lighter and cheaper than a 410.

But don't go for cheapo cabs. They'll be the hardest to sell off if you aren't happy with them.

I'm a huge BAGEND fan, but Aggies and Eppies are nice too.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Your options are nearly endless, but if you are really going for:

Then if you score a good deal on a head or pre/power setup, you should have enough cash to get one or maybe even two used VL-208's. If you do any doubling on upright, the VL-208 is hard to beat. And the sound is certainly rich, full, defined, and clear, that's for sure.

Tom.

12. I agree you should get a pre/power setup

for example:
    ART Tube Channel ~$300 (I prefer mic preamps because they usually sound much more clear + you often pay less for the same quality)
    Mackie M-800 ~$480
    Aguilar GS212 ~$640
    4 space Roto rack ~$70
    Total: $1490 for a nice medium sized rig including a compressor and parametric eq

Of course if you get used gear you can get a far better setup for the same money

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i went from a pre/power combo to a head for portability reasons. if (when i build a bigger rig it will consist of a 1000+ watt power amp, either a demeter or aguilr pre and another cab to add to the eppie. probably a 2x12.

so my suggestion would be
    eppie 2x10 USED=500
    behringer power-1400 watts for 350.(let me defend myself in advance... when building a pre/power rig you need the most watts you can afford, on a budget, this is hard to beat0
    then a used demeter or alembic for 350.

then add a aggie or eppi 2x12 when you get the stadium gigs.

needless to say i am happy with my "pre fender" swr sm400s.;)

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    listen to the man he's got the wisdom.

15. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I agree with the 210 or 212 thing as well. Portability and weight is a major when buying cabs. IMO, I am a huge fan of the 212 or 112x'2 cab setup's. But please buy a quality cab if you plan on using a powerful amp.

IMO, if you can not cut through with a good 212 or 210 with a PLX1602 than your band is too loud, you do not have it eq'd right, or your sound man is a moron.

16. I don't believe there is a "post fender" swr 400 sm400s. SWR stopped production in '99. ;)

17. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Check out adouglas' thread just above this one called "Best 1K i ever spent". get a few ideas from tat and mabye upgrade something a bit? :confused:

18. thanks a lot guys..........so far this has been a great help seeing what my options can be....:D

19. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    Gallien Kruger 1001 rb
    Ampeg SVT 8x10

The cab weights a ton but sounds like it too. GKs are great affordable heads, you just have to make sure you watch the soldering on em.

I've never tried a pre/power setup but I did record on a sansamp rbi and I couldn't be happier with the way it sounds. first song = sansamp rbi/fender mia jazz