1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I have $1500 to spend on a new bass rig tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeeCup, Apr 27, 2009.

1. DeeCup

DeeCup

Mar 16, 2009
    I like the solid state Ampeg sound I currently have with the B2RE, and I'm not too crazy about the Hartke tone from my 250 watt HA2500.

I have a 1x15 ampeg cabinet that can tag along, if I find a good 4x10 cabinet.

I play out 3 to 5 times per week, 4 hours per night. I need something tough that will last.

Sound - We play classic rock thru new stuff.
    Bass - I play a Musicman Stingray with super slinky strings.

Local guys recommend a GK or Ampeg. Or hartke 100 watt 8x10. A little big I think. I have to carry this into clubs on my own

Tomorrow I will be hitting two music stores in my town, and coming home with something new. Please advise what brands and models I should look for. I have $1500 to spend for the head (preferably 400 watts or more) and a 4x10 cabinet.

I regret settling for the 1x15 ampeg and B2re last time - i don't want to buy something too weak/small, or something unreliable, but I'm a little shy of the 8x10 path as well. Thanks a ton!

2. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    GK 1001RB or 800RB and a GK410 and GK115 and you should be set.

3. i would not go GK, in my experience they have a hard time with overheating, etc. Then again that was with a backline series so you could be in the clear.

4. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    EBS sounds fantastic with Sting Rays (and ofcourse alot of other basses), you should definitely try some. After EBS I would take GK and then Ampeg, so IMO you are not far off track. EBS and Ampeg might exceed your budget though, depending on where you are looking. (Can't even get a new EBS head here for that money).

5. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I have never had issues with my Backline stuff overheating. You just have to make sure not to put them into racks where they will not have atleast 3" of clearance between the top of the head (where the fan is) and the rack.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    1500 bones -- I suggest a Genz GBE 750 and a Neox 212T, and make them cut you a deal for 1500 :) Should be close to doable.

7. DeeCup

DeeCup

Mar 16, 2009
    the ampeg overheats now, unless I keep a fan on it constantly :(

Plus I have to keep the gain so loud (as the drummer is very loud) that I wash out all the tone :(

8. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    http://avatarspeakers.com/

I think you'd be hard pressed to find something superior to the Avatar Neo 4x10 in that price range.

Then you could use the remainder for a quality amp.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you like the Ampeg tone, consider one of their "pro" series hybrids. I use a 6Pro, 1100 watts tube driven MOSFET's. Great tone, loud as hell. A 4Pro is easier to find, but lacks in the tone dept, (imo), 3Pro's got the tone, lacks the volume. Just something to think about, but $1500 oughta get you some good stuff.

10. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Go to guitar center and haggle to 1200 an SVT Classic brand spanking new. If your 15 inch is 4 ohms then you are set to gig right away, but if it is 8, you may want to get 4x10 as you said or a 2x12.

But there's nothing like the SVT CL. I love it

11. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Yeah, I use 4x10 Avatar hybrid for my SVT CL and I am happy. I can dial in anything

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI

I am a GK guy, but after seeing Tink's EBS Rig with Jeff Beck I would cover my basses, go all out and get 2 of those 4 10 cabs.

blue

13. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    MESA 2x12 Carbine M6 Combo...
    It will slam you through decades of pleasurable thunder!

14. Schroeder 1210 cabinet with a Traynor YBA200. I've used my rig from studios in Nashville to festival stages and it's never failed me yet...The only thing that I wish is that it had more punch (like a 2x10 or 4x10) but aside from that, it's perfect. Both are light weight, built like tanks, and small enough to fit in any car....It works for me :bassist:

15. Kustom GB600 or GB1200 and Avatar 4x10 + Avatar 2x12. With more reason if you like solid state ampeg sound.

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I'd avoid the HArtke LH1000, I tried it this weekend with a Hartke 810, and could not really get a good tone from it, the highs were too glassy and there was a midbass muddiness I couldn't dial out.

17. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi DeeCup.

Why not try everything in your price range to narrow your selection down to a few rigs, sleep on it, and then go back the next day for a final shootout. Please take your time and be critical.

Also, Google the makes & models of the final contenders to flush out any problems which other owners may have had with their amps. It's best to find out where one could get a rig repaired before buying it.

Amp shopping with some musician friends for a trusted 2nd opinion would be good too.

And remember, what sounds good in the showroom isn't always what sounds good in a band.

See if the store's rental dept. has any rigs that are the same as the one's that you are interested in. There's nothing like a test drive.

BTW. Music store rental departments favor amp brands which will make them money ie reliable, good bang-for-the-buck rigs which won't spend much time on a repair bench.

18. carvin b1500 - 650

grand total = $1448

shipping will take you over your amount ... but this would be a killer rig (what i'm going to be running as soon as i get the 4x10)

19. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I regret settling for the 1x15 ampeg and B2re last time - i don't want to buy something too weak/small, or something unreliable, but I'm a little shy of the 8x10 path as well. Thanks a ton![/QUOTE]

Check out my attachemnt you might want to consider 16 10s , you will have all your current and future needs covered.

20. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Take your bass with you and try out everything you can get ahold of. I assume you do not usually have PA support? If so, check out the walkabout combo. It's light, and sounds incredible. I'm happy with the Gk heads. the cabs are OK. I haven't heard the new Neo cabs at all. Hopefully you can get to hear other brands than Sam Ash and Guitar Center sell...just to see what's out there. There is usually always some haggle room with guitar center, and they are blowing Markbass IIs out right now, if that's your sound. Don't force it if it's not there.