I have 2000$ to spend....HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacochops, Apr 30, 2004.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I am looking for the last amp I'll need....I had a deal worked out with Walter Woods, but he ended up with a clerical error on his end (translation...he reserved the head for me, but forgot he had already promised it to someone else...ARRRGHHH!!).
    Anyway, I have 2000-2500 to spend on a Woods-style (read as ultra light and powerful) amp, and need to know if anyone here has any experience with anything from Phil Jones, or the new Ampeg Portabass 800. I definitely don't want an Eden Traveler, and as much as I love the sound of the Mesa Walkabout, it just has too low of a power rating for what I need. I heard from several people that the new Epifani head is great, but the release date is still up in the air.
    Help...any clues? I've scoured Bassgear, Harmony Central, EBay, old posts, etc, with no avail for even a used Woods.....
    Anyone here have a blue or Amber light amp they'd like to part with???
  2. alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    I own the last amp I'll ever buy, Mesa/Boogie 400+, it's big, it's weigh's as much as a Buick, It's built rock solid and has never let me down, and I would put it up against any amp, and with the $700.00 left over you can buy a nice speaker box
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    He was looking for more watts in a lighter package... or was that unclear in his post? ;)

How about getting a good/suitable pre and coupling it with a digital power amp like a Peavey DPC 1400 or a Stewart 2.1? Should come in pretty light and have tons of headroom and still not kill your budget.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    What about a Euphonic Audio iAMP800. Killer sounding amps. Super clear, and incredibly versatile.
  5. I would definately try out the Phil Jones M-500. I have downloaded the manual from his site, and it is like a friggin text book! This guy really knows his stuff.
    I am impressed and have never even heard his stuff perform. :cool:
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If you won't consider Eden, I guess that pretty much leaves an iAmp 800 or a PJ...
  7. iAmp 800 or Clarus
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd wait for the WW. Maybe you can shame him into whipping one up for you lickety-split. I doubt that anything else is going to fall into the "last amp" category and meet your criteria.
  9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm with Munji on this one. Either hang loose for a bit as they do seem to turn up on the used market (there was one the other day, if I recall) or try to work with Walter. Somebody may back out on their order and that one would be available to you. I've heard of that happening.

I had an opportunity to play a set through the 350 watt WW and it was incredible. I would never see one as a rock, punk, metal amp but for a large portion of the music I play it would be perfect. Plus the fact that it is less than 10 pounds.

Just out of curiosity what is the going price for the higher output amps? The used one that I saw the other day was $2250, used. Isn't that Walter's regular price?
  10. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    That's how much they are new...they're essentially commanding new priced as used pieces...
  11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That's kinda what I thought. What a deal, huh? I seem to recall that a person could sell their Harley-Davidson for more than they paid. I don't know if that's still true.

Just out of curiosity, if something should happen to Walter, HEAVEN FORBID, where would get the amp repaired. As I understand it there is some parts of the circuit that are basically a black box. And I'm sure that there are now schematics floating around.
  12. Wait for the Woods.

I bet if you stay in touch with Walter, one will come your way sooner.

Hold out for an Ultra or at least one of the new upgraded hybrid Ambers.

They really are the best.

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sounds to me like you had your heart set on the Walter, so there's no since in trying anything else. Hold out for one to come up. If you go with something else, you'll still always want the WW, and will never be as happy.
  14. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Actually, I was just contacted by a guy who has a Blue light Ultra in NEW condition for 2000....I think I'm going to bite. Anyone here have any opinions about whether the hi-power green light sounds any different tonally than the blue light....do either have their own inherent character?
  15. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Johnathan, have you found that you only use your WW? Or on occasion do you use your preamp/QSC rig?
  16. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Actually, Walter's used amps are getting better than new prices. Below is a link on eBay where a 10 year old amp went for $1000 more than it sold new. Bottom line, if you find one, BUY IT!!! Or wait :meh: