Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have $600 Help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godlyrat, Apr 1, 2003.

1. godlyrat

godlyrat

Oct 19, 2002
    So here it is. I have $600 bucks to spend on a new or used bass. What should I get? Keep in mind I hate pickguards unless its a Rick.
    Thanks
    Rick

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    It all really depends on what you're trying to get. I know someone is gonna say this so i might as well-if you give us more info we can steer you in the direction of something that will be worth the $600. Just off the top of my head for a vague option a Cort Curbow should only be like $430 in fretted or fretless. Just need a bit more info and then you will get more responses. Some things that would be nice to know: number of strings, fretted/fretless, active/passive, and that sort of thing. Thats all

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Used MIJ Fender :D

4. godlyrat

godlyrat

Oct 19, 2002
    I'd prefer a 5 string, and as far as electronics go, all i've ever used is passive so I don't know about active. I tried out a cort curbow and I hated the body, i seemed way too small. I v'e looked at the Lakland Skyline series, perhaps an Ibanez BTB 405, a Conklin GT-5. Just gives an idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the input

Rick

5. godlyrat

godlyrat

Oct 19, 2002
    Damn i forgot. Fretted, my crappy Lotus will become my fretless project bass.

Rick

6. Well, not to toot my own horn or anything, but I've got a Warwick Streamer Standard 5 string that I'm selling for $500. If you're interested, PM me.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    my preference in that price range would most likely be the Conklin GT5 if you're willing to pay the price for it. I haven't played many basses in that range since i went straight from the Pilot + 5 to the Ray5. I know you don't want to hear this option since i know i didn't want to hear it ,but you could save a bit longer and get a really killer/sweet bass that will last your lifetime. The advice i got from the sources closest to me was to get some sort of fender and i took that to mean anything designed by Leo and thus i ended up with the Ray5. Best of Luck and enjoyment, if you can go play everything you can get your hands on to see what you like and what you don't which seems you've already done a bit.

8. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    G&L Tribute basses?

9. godlyrat

godlyrat

Oct 19, 2002
    I was just looking at those in the new MF mailing. Anybody played them, they look great.

Rick

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    [​IMG]
    Book Price: $1225
    Sale Price: $675 ($250 blank)
    This is a very lightweight bass with solid EMG tone and a comfortable, slender, medium scale neck.

4 string fretted
    Figured Jatoba top, curly spanish cedar back
    33" scale Madagascar rosewood fingerboard
    Spanish Cedar/figured american cherry 3 piece center block
    Claro walnut headstock veneer
    EMG 35 P/J soapbar pickup set
    5 piece maple/jatoba bolt on neck

so it's a little funky lookin', it's handmade and his work is impeccable. Price looks good. Check out the world of indie luthiery...

FBB basses site

11. Those are exactly the ones I was going to recommend. Talk to Adrian at www.accessbass.com. He can hook you up with the Skyline.

How about a Carvin? Music Man would work as well.

12. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I would go with the Ibanez BTB 405. I've got the four-string version and I love it to death. The Skyline would also be an excellent bass as well.

13. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I will have to second the G&L Tribute bass. I bought the real L-2500 and just played the Tribute l-2500. There was no difference in my opinion accept for the price tag and the lettering on the headstock.

G&L all the way!!!!!

14. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I'd check out the LTD 305(I think thats the model). From what I hear thats a killer bass. I don't know much about it, but I figure its something else to look at.

15. I'd definately look for a used with only $600 bucks, I was going to buy a brand new Schecter from GC for about $500 but then I shoped around a bit more and found A used GT-5 Conklin for about $485, So I suggest you look around for a nice used bass, it will be well worth it.

edit: oops should have looked at all the post before I posted. Id Definately go with that GT-5 Conklin, Its an awesome bass, I love mine to death, and its very nice looking (that is if its the wine color). So yea Go with the Conklin. U can check out the pics of mine somewhere in this basses section ;)

16. $600...

I know! You could donate that as a tax free gift to me!!! :cool: ;)

But I'd say G&L Tribute L-2500, Skyline, or Carvins. I tried a passive Carvin 4 from the early 90's and I was stoked! It was awesome!

17. MTD Hier. If you hate the pickgaurd, just pull it off. It doesn't look bad without it.

18. QUICK GIVE ME THE MONEY, DON'T THINK JUST DO!!!!:D ;)

19. Actually, the Jazz pup's hole is way bigger than it should be, so it does look pretty bad.