Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have a 2 x EL34 head...will it be loud enough..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doublestop, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Hello, I am a guitarist venturing into new territory…basses! I have an amp question – sorry if it's stupid…I come from a guitar world, right?

I have this vintage 35…40 watts, all tube head (2 x EL34 power tubes). It is a 1963 Klemt Echolette, a German head, Marshall inspired. I use it for guitar, with a 1 x 12 cab, although officially it is a bass head. But actually it's too loud for me….

Woud this amp be loud enough for bass? I read all this stuff about 200 or 300 Watt amps…which seems like a LOT to me: for my guitar I prefer 15, or 20 Watt amps…..

So my question is: is a 40 watts all tube bass amp loud enough for a band?
    2nd question: what cab should I buy? A vintage 15" cab (there's one for sale locally) or a new 2 x 10 cab? (ore maybe 4 x 10) .

Thanks. Peter

2. Without knowing the specifics of what type of music you want to play or what instruments you want to compete with, I would say it's unlikely that a 40 watt head will be loud enough. It takes a lot more power to amplify bass to get the same volume you would with a guitar.

3. Probably not. My 1st real bass amp was a Fender bassman with the small 2x12 cab. It had 2x6L6's and putout simular power. I'll never forget how disappointed I was when I tried to play a live gig with it. It sounded OK as long as we were playing "Sunshine of Your Love" but it really sucked when I tried to get a clean deep sound. I saved my money and bought a Kustom 200 with 2x15's and was much happier. Bass guitar needs at least clean 200 watts and a fairly efficient cab to play at "live band volume". Any less will probably be a disappointment.

4. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    you'll be unhappy with the amp.

I'm an old bass player and love tubes, still using a tube mesa with EL-34s for guitar.

i played ampeg B25-B, V4B and SVTs, all tube models.

the B25 B was retired to practice very early on. just not enough playing out, even at small jobs and weddings. played through the b25b cabinet, 2x15 jensens, blew them both up overdriving the amp and them.

the V4B at 100 watts was fine for all but large gigs then used SVTs.

studied electrical engineering in school and also believe the guitar amps were designed and rolled off at low frequencies, compounding the problem for you.

get a bass amp i think

b

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hmmm,
    It'll be about 50 watts or so, plenty for G**tar,equivalent to about a 90 - 100 watt solid state bass head.....not quite enough imho.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's still a very nice head though.
    Keep it for home recording and/or small gigs.