Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have a 59 pbass neck and want to "restore" it with a new body...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wolfehollow, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    It is a maple neck with a maple board. My father played it and had it on a dimarzio body? (did they make bodies?)

I was wondering if anyone knew what it might have looked like in its original state. What does the basic 59 p bass look like? sunburst? etc... Where can I get the parts, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Well Fender has a 59 PBass in its custom shop "Time Machine" series, I think it's the first year the PBass looked like today's PBass (Earlier on it looked like the Sting bass).

http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0152100

You can get some info here.

As for getting a body similar to it, you can get a 62 PBass body straight from Fender (pretty much as authentic as it gets). You HAVE to put a pickup cover and bridge cover! :D You can get those at www.warmoth.com. Heck, you can get a PBass body there too, probably cheaper. You oughta get Fender pickups (if you can, get the "Original Precision Bass Pickup", they're made with Alnico magnets like the originals) so you can reproduce the vintage tone, but any warm-sounding pickups would be great. Warmoth should handle the electronics, knobs, etc, and you could get them set up professionally. Check it out. Try to find more pics of 59 PBasses for additional ideas. Have fun, you can make a hell of a bass!

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You have a lot of options as to what you can do and how "accurate" you want to make your restoration job.

You can get vintage-spec parts from just about any of the major parts dealers (all parts, stewmac, etc.) Most of bodies of this era were two-tone sunburst or natural finish...a lot of the colors that you're used to seeing on jazz basses and custom metalic colors didn't come until the 60s.

If you're looking to go totaly traditional, you could get nitro-finished body from Fender, slap the neck and some hardware on, and you're good to go. However, if you want to upgrade, you could go with a body from USACG, a paint job from Pat Wilkins or Roxy, and maybe even go with some upgraded hardward. There are also guys who use Reranch nitro and could "relic" the body for you to fit more with what the instrument might have looked like intact after 40+ years of use.

Should be fun. Go to Fender's web site or check out some vintage Fender books at your local library for more photos, etc.

4. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Is there any point to buying an essex and putting the neck on it? It would be much cheaper...

EDIT- Please disregard this post... I do not know what I was thinking.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...but personally, I'd go two-tone sunburst with bake-o-lite pickguard and Lindy Fralin vintage P pickup. :D

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I not sure if the neck will directly fit an Essex, but I would go the Warmoth route as stated earlier.

Make it a project, take your time and build a nice bass for the 59 p-bass neck.

For reference, there is thread here in basses of a Warmoth J-Bass project that someone did and it came out great.

7. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    This looks nice... Fender 57 vintage bass

[​IMG]