1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have a bass, and a drill, and they keep getting closer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by poomwah, Feb 22, 2008.

1. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I find the position of my top strap button to be something i could live with if I HAD to, but I'm strongly considering relocating the strap button. Usually where I put them is on one of my neck screws, except on my set neck ripper, I just drilled a hole where I wanted the button and screwed it in . The bass I want to do this time though , is a neck thru. Is that going to complicate anything?

2. well u can make things worse, if thats what u are asking
    but if u still want to do it
    try putting some tape on the place where u want to drill, so the lacquer won't crack..
    thats all i gotta say :)
    Good luck with it!

3. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    thanks for the tape idea. I'm not worried about damaging the finish, I'll be ridiculously careful, I'm just wondering if drilling into the thru neck is ok, or if its the same as drlling into the heal of a bolt on, or set neck

4. Well, let's think of it as "why it should be different?" :) it's wood too, and it's very well, glued under high pressure..
    The fact that it's a laminated piece doubt that it reduces it's "hardness"

5. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    From the title I was thinking Billy Sheehan

6. MrSexy

MrSexy

Jul 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    FYI, best thread title I've seen in a long time

7. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    here's a good question, what can I do to the original strap button hole, to keep it from gettting cracked and such since it won't be used? should I just fill it in with some glue?

8. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    I had a bass with 3 strap buttons once.... lol It had two on the bottom and one on the top. Maybe something similar happened? I would just keep the original button in the hole and get a new one for the other hole.

9. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    As long as you are careful and drill a good pilot hole, there should not be a problem.

10. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    It shouldn't crack. I have an extra strap button hole on one of my basses. There's nothing in it and its fine. :)