I have a CARVIN and dont know how it works!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, May 4, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I got this Carvin from a Tb'r and I have no idea what does what on this beast. 5 knobs and a toggle switch.

I thought the toggle was an active passive type thing, but if I take the battery out there is no signal.

Large knob is volume, the other one is pickup.

The other three I'm not sure of. 2 of them are notched but the other is'nt.

Besides what the heck is the switch for??

It has the single coils in it and Im not sure which model of Carvins they are.

ALSo anyone know waht size allen wrench the bridge takes?
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

bridge is a Hipshot.
  3. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    How about messaging the Tb'er that you bought it from asking him/her?
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    If you've got 3 knobs below the master vol & blend, they are:

in that strange order. The mid is the one w/out the center detent.

The mini toggle is a phase switch, if you don't have the humbucker p'up. Should make for a very thin, nasally tone if you use it when the p'up blend is centered. Not too many folks get that option any more, seems like. Usually it's a coil-tap to go from dual- to single- on the humbuckers, but you say you've got single-coils, eh? Must be phase then.

Call Carvin, they'll send you a set of tools.

Try pulling up on the master vol knob. If it doesn't pull up, you don't have the active/passive switch. That's where it would be. Otherwise, it's not going to work without a battery.
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Wont work considering he told me it was a active/passive switch, which it isnt. So I was'nt sure if he was even sure of the rest.

Xush-makes sense because it does sound very nasally when I switch it. What would the point of that sound be?? YUCK
  6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yeah, Carvins have never had an active/passive switch. Was this one modded?

The only use I ever found for the phase switch (2 of my Carvins have them) was to emulate a baritone guitar tone; I've rarely used it for a main bassline tone. I think that's why you don't see them too often. If you roll the blend knob a little while you have the p'ups out of phase, you might find a slightly more useable tone...

Are there pictures of it any where?
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

this is the picture the seller gave me. no mods as far as I can tell.

How can one tell what pups are in this?

Thanx Xush!!

8. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Dude, I thought U were talking about an amp. Either way, I hve no clue.
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, uhh, Odie? Your bass is missing a string.

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thats a Carvin LB75 with 2 Jazz pickups. It comes standard with a HB Alnico-5 Humbucking Pickup, but the previous owner must have gotten it made through the custom shop.

The jazz pickups that are in there are pretty much impossible to tell what they are. Both Carvin Jazz P/ups look the same so they are either J99 Single Coils, H5ON Stacked Humbuckers, or a mixture of both.

Heres a run down of what the Carvin Catalog has to say about the LB75:

Neck through body construction is extra-ordinary strong and stablem and the string spacing is set idealy for comfortable playing action on the LB75. The Carvin J99 pickups and active/passive electronics provide a huge selection of percussive bass sounds.

-Maple neck through alder body
    -1.75"wide at nut, 2.75" at 24th fret
    -Hipshot bridge
    -J99 single coil pickups
    -Active/passive electronics
    Passive mode includes pull up master volume, & pickup blend control. Active mode includes master volume, pickup blend control, active cut & boost controls for bass, treble and midrange.

My theory about the pickups is obviosly useless after reading the catalogue :D

Brand new this beast retailed $719

Hope that helps ;)
  12. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    actually, there is a way to tell if you have the J99 single coils or the H50 stacked humbuckers, I just didn't have time to divulge it as I was late for X2...

The h50's just say "Carvin"
    the J99's have a little dot right before the "C" in "Carvin."

Can't tell from the pic, you'll have to inspect her close-up for us.
  13. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    here's what you're looking for:

14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That will work, or you could just solo one pickup and see if you get noise.
  15. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Mark, I think you mean Carvins have never had an active/passive toggle switch. The 5-knob preamps can be switched to passive mode by pulling up on the volume knob. Older (4-knob) Carvin preamps had no passive mode at all.
  16. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I had an older 5 knob preamp that did not have the active/passive switch. I later switched it out for the latest version which also has a better voiced mid control. Funny thing is, now that I have the option of active or passive, I run mostly passive. YMMV. BTW mine is blueburst also.