Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have a cat problem.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Oct 11, 2003.

1. My cat has a bad tendency to wee wee all over my house, and not in the litter box. I am out of ideas why he is, his litter box is cleaned nearly everyday.

You guys have any advice?

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Its a he;

Balls + cat = mark terrority

Take the balls out of the equation (castrate) and it won't do it.

3. He has been nutered. And I don';t think he is marking his territory, because we are talking lake amounts here.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Confuse the cat.

sorry, couldn't resist... :D

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Throw the cat outside!

If he still comes inside and does the pee pee......Chinese food! :D

6. I can't throw him out, he's been an indoor cat for about 5 years. he'd get eaten outside.

But I did threaten him with chinese food.:rolleyes:

7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    My cat was an indoor cat for 4 years. One day she got out, now she's a outdoor cat! ;)

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I love cats! They're delicious!
    :D

9. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Despite no-one else taking this seriously...

Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions but you have to start somewhere !

Have you changed anything in/around the litter tray recently ? Cats sometimes don't like different types of litter.

Has anything changed around the house ? He might be nervous, anxious or frustrated about something and this could be his way of showing it.

Are you spending less time with him ? see last question

And last but by no means least

Have you had him checked by the vet ? It could be a bladder problem, he's just being caught short and he's not able to make the litter tray?

10. Well, we haven't moved the litter box in three years, have been using the same litter, same food, he gets plenty of attention, and all that other jazz.

I'll see about that vet thing.

Evn though this time he went wee wee on top of a pile of clothes on a trunk of mine. Luckily it was only on the clothes and didn't get on the trunk.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    And people wondered why Pirate cats were trendy.:p

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    If you really love your cat I'd suggest getting to a vet quickly. My cat was peeing "lake" amounts (but in his box) and he wound up being diabetic. I had waited quite a while before initially getting him checked out and because of that he wound up hardly able to walk due to neurological damage done to his hind paws. Fortunately I treated him thruogh some suggestions I found on the internet and he's fully recovered, but that's not always the case. Also, if you catch diabetes early on in a cat it can be stopped. Strange as it may be, my cat had it for about year, got better for about a year (didn't need any insulin), and now I just recently had to start giving him insulin again. If you want to check out right away if his blood sugar is high you can buy keto-diastix at any drugstore and test his urine.

I also recommend being frugal with your vet choice. My experience (in NY) is that they try and rob you for every cent that they possibly can. My initial bill was over $1000. I told them they were insane, and it suddenly dropped to $700. I told them I still didn't have the money and they hooked me up with a credit card (and my credit sucks, don't know how they did it). In aftercare visits which they promised 5 of for free - i noticed other people getting their initial bills and falling apart saying "how are we going to afford this?". Oh yeah, they tried to charge me $35 for all 5 of those free follow up checkups. They don't like me much there anymore, as I refused to take their crap. :)

I treat my cat now through knowledge obtained on the internet, and other vets when necessary. Good luck.

13. DEFINITELY bladder or kidney troubles. Take him to a vet quickly! You may not be able to live with yourself if you don't.

14. I have serious cat problems too, it happens every time I sit down and put my feet up for a session on talk bass. Extremely annoying.

15. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Your cat looks comfortable! ;)

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    definitely sounds like a bladder infection, or something along those lines, to me. vet time.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'd guess the same. I had 2 different males that started peeing everywhere... both turned out to have stones or infections. Cleared it up and they stopped.

The Vet said to feed wet food occationally (we feed premium dry only). His logic was the added moisture reduces the forming of stones.

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    My initial bill was over $1000. I told them they were insane, and it suddenly dropped to $700. I told them I still didn't have the money and they hooked me up with a credit card (and my credit sucks, don't know how they did it).

I admire your bargaining skills, you 'da man Joe :D

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

We had a cat that had problems peeing! He had the cat equivalent of stones...more a sort of grit that blocks their urethra. He has been on a low pH dry food - makes his urine more acidic to helpo dissolve the stones/grit - he's beem fine since. Apparently it's fairly common in neutered Tom cats!

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I am really surprised that people have cats and don't let them outside! My famly had many cats when I was young and my parents have always had cats - but they would never imagine keeping them indoors all the time.

Cats need to get out and dig and hunt etc That's their nature! Without that, they aren't really cats and in many cases of "animal cruelty" I have seen reported in the UK - they have involved large numbers of cats being kept in a small space and have led to the cats being psychologically damaged!

I would like to keep a cat - but since living in a first-floor town flat I don't have the space to allow a cat outside, so I haven't had one. Personally, I feel it would be very cruel of me to keep a cat indoors and have only had cats when I have also had a large garden, to act as their 'territory'!