1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have a disease in the key of B

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeDePaola, Jun 5, 2011.

1. MikeDePaola

MikeDePaola

May 13, 2011
    Ringoes, NJ
    B that stands for bass, nothing else. At least that is the way I feel these days. I have been an avid music fan my whole life. I've been to countless shows and love many different genres of music. I'm 43 years old and I have never taken a music lesson. I listened to music in my own way and didn't want anything to change that, until now. About a month ago my son, who is a drummer, asked if I would get him a bass guitar. I agreed. Since taking that instrument home my life has changed. I began to read, watch, practice, shop, live for the bass. Dear god I love this instrument. I guess I have always enjoyed it. Dave Schools (widespread panic), Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead), and Victor Wooten are all musicians I have appreciated over the years. Never did I realize the talent they have. This is going to be a long term love affair. If only I have met her in my younger years. Finially I understand why people own many guitars they are all unique and awesome in their own way and each element added changes everything. God I am gealouse of all the time you " experienced folk" have had over me.

2. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Mwahahahaha welcome to the dark side my friend.

3. Age ain't nothing but a number. And all those crazy tricks ain't nothing but fluff.

It's all about the groove, my friend. Welcome.

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    It's NEVER too late. I've messed around with bass starting when I was about 37 or 38. Then when the playing situation I had kind of ended I didn't do much with it besides playing in my basement.

Then about two years ago, when I was 44, I decided (for a variety of reasons) that it was time to start taking lessons. That changed things immeasurably. I also started working with a new instructor about a year ago and that made an even bigger difference.

At my age and with my current family situation it's mighty hard to find time to practice, let alone figure out how I'd have time to devote to a band. But I know once my son gets to college in four years I'll have a lot more free time time than I have now and I'm looking forward to finding a band at that point. For now, I'm putting in as much time as I can to learning all I can in order to get ready for that. Oh, and I'm having a lot of fun doing it, too.

If I can do it, ANYONE can do it. Welcome to the "deep end" of the musical pool! :bassist:

5. No Malarky

No Malarky

May 27, 2010
    Mike, I have never had someone be "gealouse" of me. Thanks,........I think.

6. MikeDePaola

MikeDePaola

May 13, 2011
    Ringoes, NJ
    No Malarky, thats "jealous" thanks for pointing that out, too funny..... I think. )