Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have a dream...help me find it

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by top028, Oct 8, 2002.

1. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    my wish:
    -5 string set
    -sounds like rotosound swingbass 4 string set (month old)
    -B must not flop
    -need length for 34" plus string through

the story:
    I havent had a fretted bass for about 3 years. I finnaly got my warmoth 5 string jazz copy. It has a bridge Music man pickup and a Jazz neck pickup. Since this whole thing was new to me, I decided to try new stings. I love the TI flats, so I decided to try thier powerbass strings. Thumbs down on tone, but the even sound and volume across the fretboard is amazing. The B was lively. My favorite string is Rotosound swing bass about 30 days old. So I replaced the TI's. Two problems; strings are too short for string-through and I always disliked the B on thier sets, always floppy. E-G are amazing sounding though. I cant dig in with the nickle TIs. I dont mind the abrasion, if they sound good, I will sacrifice my girly smooth skin. DONT EVEN SUGEST DIADARIO ive tried all of their strings and hate them all.
    I am thinking about alembic, DR, bluesteel others, but I need to save money so at least point me in the right direction. thanks

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Elites?

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    dr lo riders. i don't know how they compare to rotosounds but they're freaking awesome nonetheless.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Ditto. I was a Roto 66 user since I can remember. Once I tried the DR Lo Riders (SS), I haven't looked back. I used the Rotos I had at the time, but once they died, I just kept going with the DR's. Awesome strings, can't say enough good things about em.

5. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I read the posts on DR's lowriders, high beams, sun beams, fat beams. I am looking for classic tone, I play in a blues band, so I need solid lows that I can roll the trebble off and still have definition. I am going to rule out the sun beams, but I will give the stainless lowriders a try. just the title "Fat beam" is interesting maybe I will give both sets a try.
    thanks