i have a dream

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by metalhead400ho, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Alright i have a website( not sure if i can post the url but its on my profile)and im at a cross road with it. if you visit the site you will see what im wanting to do. but if you dont want to in short im trying to start an online independent label because i belive that there are so many talented bands out there and with the big record labels treating bands like short lived fads. my end goal is to beable to mix, master, produce,book gigs and sell albums and merchindise all online(so its a big dream ). i have some of the programs i need and will have the rest or what i think is the rest as soon as i can. If anyone in a band or with any ideas wants to get involved please let me know and any webmasters that might belive in something like this and might want to get in on the ground floor please email me.
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, this would be better in the band management forum. i'll move it there.
  3. hey i started this thread cuz i seriously need some input i see 95 people have visited but no one has said any thing come on take a chance if you think im nuts just say so.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I found it difficult to read - long sentences that seemed to run on and no paragraphs.

That may be why there are no replies...:meh:
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I like the idea; music companies have been screwing musicians forever, but you are nuts. <b>That don't mean it wouldn't work<b>.
  6. hey bruce when i typed it up there were paragraphs but when it was posted they were not there.
  7. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    The main problem is that there are so many acts out there. Many of them are quite good. A small portion of those have albums. A small portion of those have albums on labels. A small portion of those get air time on radio or MuchMusic.

You know how many songs used to be on MP3.com? How does an average Jo have time to listen to the all that music? We need to be pointed to what is good, and once in awhile we find a diamond in the rough (I just found a Japanese band called Bump of Chicken by accident).

The bottom line is this: you can have a great production studio, excellent bands, and professional quality cuts. But it all boils down to economics and marketing. Without money to advertise, or a hell of alot of pounding the pavement, your site will a) never get the number of visitors you need to make a profit, and/or b) take many years to build a hardcore following.

In the meantime you'll be out of pocket for quite a bit. It can be done, you just have to have the capital to withstand the years of red ink. You just got to ask yourself, how will you differentiate your albums from the dozens of label albums, and dozens of indie albums, that come out each week?