Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have a dumb question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tat2d_13, Feb 7, 2004.

1. tat2d_13

tat2d_13

Feb 4, 2004
    Minnesota USA
    about the GK800rb.Bare with me but for the outputs you have 1 output for 100 watts and 2 outputs for 300 watts.Can you plug the 2 outputs for the 300 watts into a single cab?

2. You COULD use both jacks but it would make no difference as the 2 jacks are wired in parallel to the amp output. It's not 2 different 300W amp outputs, just 2 different outlets for the same 300W amp. Using both outputs to one cab would be essentially doubling the amount of speaker wire and nothing else.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    To further that line of thinking... DO NOT plug the outputs of both amps (100 watt and 300 watt) into one full range cabinet either or you'll blow up your amp.

4. That doesn't sound right to me! If it's anything like my 700rb, the 100watt output is for a high range cab ( or tweeter ) and the two 300watt outputs are meant to go to seperate woofer cabs. If you plug both 300watt outputs into the same cab you will likely be shorting the output of your amplifier and damage it!

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    No, both 300w outputs are the same amp. You are right about the bi-amp deal, but they are giving you an option of running two cabs off of the big amp, or biamping using both.

6. Yeah, I'm aware that the two outputs for the 300 watt amp are both connected to the same amp, but if you plug two leads from both those outputs into the one speaker box, won't that create a loop and short out the output stage of the power amp?

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    No, nothing will get shorted, unless one of the speaker cables is miswired at one end.

Inside the amp the tips of both jacks are connected together and the sleeves of both jacks are connected together. At the cabinet, the same interconnections (should) occur. Using two (properly wired) speaker cables from paralleled jacks to paralleled jacks just doubles the cross sectional area of wire.

8. Thanks for the clarification BillyB.
    I guess it pays to have a peek at how a cab and cable are wired up before using it; just in case someone has mucked around with it. I once bought an EV 15" that came with a cable that was wired up wrong. No harm done though as I was only using one output from my amp to drive it; the other output was driving a 4x10". This made the cab's out of phrase though and they sounded terrible till I fixed it.