Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have a few questions before I get my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ImaBassNewbie, May 30, 2002.

1. ImaBassNewbie

ImaBassNewbie

May 29, 2002
    I have been concidering getting a Ibanez SR 4 or 5String or a BCRich Warlock 4String. Would this be a good choice for a first bass and playing Metal/Hardrock music? Also curious what would be a decent amp set up for one of my choices that will still be in my Money Limit (1100 dollars). I'll be honest, I really don't know a great deal about Basses so if any of you could give me some advice I'd highly appreciate it.

Thank You,
    Chris :p

2. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    If you have $1100 dollars to blow, i would suggest something that you can grow into more, and sound better. Just try some stuff out at your local music store.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Agreed. Check out some of the Fender MIMs, whether they be Jazzes or P-Basses -- solid instruments and infinitely upgradeable. You'll also want a rig with enough balls (power) to be heard in a heavy metal/hard rock situation -- especially if you aren't using a PA system. Basically, check out all of your options and find the bass/rig that sound good to you and that give you the freedom to grow into them a bit (it's better to have too much power than to not have enough) and don't pick a bass based solely on looks and/or who plays 'em!

Good luck and welcome to TB!

4. some good advice given above.
    I would suggest also, since you are on a budget, to get something that sounds good and feels good in your hands. rather then going for looks. MIM means "made in Mexico". the MIM fenders are one of the best sounding basses in that price range. you should be able to pick one up for under $400. I think a Jazz or Precision would be better than either of the basses you listed.
    if you are not a fender kind of guy, I would say check out the Dean basses. I have a "Edge 4" (it's now a fretless). it was marked in the store for $339. it came with EMG-HZ pickups, Grover tuners, and a 5 peice maple and walnut neck. it was hands down the best deal for the money in my local shop.
    good hunting, and make sure you pickup and play as many basses as you can. :)

5. ImaBassNewbie

ImaBassNewbie

May 29, 2002
    Cool, Thanks for the help.