1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have a fine piece of wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wc123, Jun 13, 2007.

1. wc123

wc123

Nov 17, 2005
    Buckhorn CA.
    I have a fine piece of wood that is100 year old mahogany that came from an old Kimball piano that is going to be my next bass it is going to be a Fender style body with a bolt on neck it to will be from the same wood….

I cannot make up my mine on what pickups to use to bring out the most from this wood.
    I will be using a bad ass II or III Bridge.

If it was yours what pickups would you use and why …I am in need of some ideas

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    NJ4 at the bridge and NP4 at the neck.:bassist:

3. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Mahogany and Dark Star PUPs go together like bread and butter................:cool:

4. Lets see some pictures.

lowsound

5. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Hope your not destroying a working piano for it..

That being said, it could be quite cool to use some of the keys for inlays(depending on what they are made of)..brass hardware..

6. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    need photos.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Why not just put some strap locks on the piano and play it like a bass?

8. wc123

wc123

Nov 17, 2005
    Buckhorn CA.
    No there is to many little things gone bad to bring it back to a to a fine sounding piano so it is going to be taken apart with love ...what parts that can be salvaged to repair other pianos will be saved for that.... the wood will go to guitars & basses so with luck & love... music will come from this piano again for many,many years...

9. wc123

wc123

Nov 17, 2005
    Buckhorn CA.
    I am getting old so I use a stool a lot and it is to heavy to hold on my lap

10. Manual_Combat

Manual_Combat

Jan 20, 2005
    /|\ lol

hey- make sure you use threaded inserts to attach your neck.

11. wc123

wc123

Nov 17, 2005
    Buckhorn CA.
    what kind work best?

12. wc123

wc123

Nov 17, 2005
    Buckhorn CA.
    ok here is a photo of the piano the bass will come later

Attached Files:

13. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'd suggest a good look-over of the piano. I've got one that's over a hundred years old too, and I had similar luthiery thoughts about it. On closer inspection, some of the panels are mahogany veneer over ???.

14. wc123

wc123

Nov 17, 2005
    Buckhorn CA.
    yes you are right on the outside.... but on the inside were the music comes from is were you find the good stuff

15. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    In that direction, you may find that the spruce sound board (where the music comes from) might be usable for an acoustic guitar top.

None of the structural wood of a piano is especially involved in the production of tone, except tangentially.

16. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    BTW that looks like a nice old upright- they made them pretty tall then, so they could hold long bass strings, so they can get good tone pretty far down the keyboard, unlike a spinet or shorter uprights. They used to market them as "vertical grand" pianos.

17. Mad Tango

Mad Tango Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Pearland, Tx.
    I built my first instrument in 1983. The woods I have used are 1-padouk,4-ash,1-cocobolo, and1-bubinga and never got to build one from mahogany. This is interesting because I have been thinking of building another Fender type out the same wood and put my 65' neck on it. It is on a 50's RI and sounds good like it is right now. If you are going for a P-bass type sound my Nordy NP4 sounds great, a bit better in the mix than my 62 RI pup. However, for a jazz set up my Lindy's give a growly and slightly raw sound that is very cool. Lindy asked the Bass Player people what they would do to improve on the original pups. They stated a tad more deep end and wind it up to the point before it becomes blurry and losses its vintage tone. I also wonder how a Nordy NJ4 jazz set would sound as there P-bass pup sounds excellent. Have fun making YOUR choice.

18. DanielM

DanielM

Jan 6, 2007
    Holland
    silly question but why would you steal wood from a piano? or is it dead? because otherwise isn't this a bi of a waste? no offence intended of course I'm sure a bass made of proper high grade Mahog must sound pretty sweet.

19. wc123

wc123

Nov 17, 2005
    Buckhorn CA.
    Right now I have a 62 style P/J with SD pickup that sounds great,a short Gretsch thats just fun to play ,a fretless jazz with ash trays that my wife gave me becouse she loves me and I did not have anything like and a realy nice older 4+1 62 SX that the fit & finish and sound will blow your mine for what it is it is a great bass and I fell like I stoled it for what I payed for is used....but a five string just ain't me so it is going down the road to make room & pay for pickups for this new project.

Right now I am kind of leaning to M/J pickups ( I do not know what make yet), 500K pots, Badass II bridge, rosewood fret board I have not thought about the nut, tuners and strings

20. wc123

wc123

Nov 17, 2005
    Buckhorn CA.
    Well yes you are right again but looking it over there is alot of good wood to make basses or guitars out of and the 100 year old wood it should have some mellow sound to it and there is no reason why this paino should not make music again so it will be reborn as basses & guitars

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021