Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i have a fretless!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Feb 13, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    finally! i bought a hamer slamer bass for $10.
    so i carefully pryed the frets out. then i took toothpicks that i shaved and cut into the slots.
    then i cut the excess. it plays awsome. before it has some dead spots but itdoesn't know.
    i might start to upgrade it until i build a new bass.
    how fast will rosewood wear down by using roundwounds? i like the sound of rounds and a bare fretboard.

i will post pics later.
    this is my cheapest bass by far but it might see alot more use than my other basses.(mia jazz and a custom jazz)

steve

2. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Hey if your looking for a cheap but better sounding fretless check this out. I have a MIM fretless jazz w/EMG pickups, Badass2 bridge, and hardshell case. It's only 2 months old and I'm selling it for 300$. email me at antelope81796@yahoo.com for info.:D

3. I've heard that coating it with superglue works great but i've never seen it done or played a bass with it.

4. Rosewood will wear pretty quickly without expoy or you might try changing to half rounds or tape wounds. The tape wounds I've tried (Fender to be exact) feel a lot like roundwounds.

Personally, I recently put Rotosound 77s (flatwounds) on my fretless and it took about a day to get used to. I love them.

5. $10?!?! Wow!! I just paid $10 for a new A string let along an entire bass. . .awesome find. Congrats on your bass.

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    What color is the body/pickguard? Is it a factory fretless or conversion? Why ya sellin' it by the way?

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I coated my board with polyurethane (hardwood floor coating) It seems to be really toucha nd smooth and looks good. I'm sure how much it affected teh sound though. I also use flatwounds.

8. 10$!!~!!~!!~!! sweet man, were gonna need pictures.

9. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    It's black with white pickguard. I'd also like to mention the body is Alder just like the americans. It's a factory fretless, with fretlines. It was really cool when I tried it out and I had to buy it (GAS)especially considering the price. But after the novelty of it wore off I found I didn't use it in the style of music I play. Also I need to pay off a warwick I just bought.

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Way to go...Maybe you can sell it now for $11!!!

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i used this bass during band practice and i love it!!!
    i am going to play this way more than my other basses.
    i didn't have that hard of a time using during practice. except on an intro to one of our songs.
    even are hard "punk" songs it worked out great.

we cover "this ain't havanna" guess who????
    and it worked out so great.
    this is the sound i have been waiting for!!!
    finally!! after so much money spent. and it only took $10 to find my sound.

also, this bass must be really pro it only has an input. not volume or anything.! tom delonge needs volume, and the guitaist from rob zombie only has a mute switch, me nothing!!!!! ha ha ha!!!!:meh:

thanks. pics soon!!

steve