Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have a Hartke 5000 head... need some advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thermal, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Thermal

Thermal

Jun 28, 2005
    Hi all! Great board!

I have a Hartke 5000 head that was made when the Earth was still flat and a 410 transporter cab. (300 watts I believe) I am looking to buy another cab. I just don't know how many watts it should be. Thoughts on this? Suggestions?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

2. I also have an ancient Hartke 5000.

Do you wish to run biamped, or just to get the power from the second channel?

As long as the new cab is rated more than 250 watts (the nominal rated power of each channel of the 5000) you're OK.

What's more important will be: a) the nominal cab impedance, b) the sensitivity of the speaker, and c) the frequency response. Maybe even in that order.

a) You need a 4 ohm cab on each channel to get the full 250 watts output of each side. At 8 ohms, you're only going to get 170 watts. If you want to haul around multiple cabs, then the combined impedance of the cabs should equal 4 ohms, per channel. For example, you could haul four 8 ohm cabs, and plugging 2 of them in parallel--plugging that pair into one channel(then the other 2 in parallel and plugging that pair into the other channel) gives you the 4 ohms each channel craves.

b) Nowadays, 250 watts per channel is relatively low-powered :D so it's best to get cabs that are efficient.

c) If you biamp, frequency response will be good to know, obviously you want deep lows on one channel and mids/highs on the other.

Remember, the 5000 does not bridge--there must be a 4 ohm cab on each channel to get the full 500 watts (250 x2) that the amp is capable of.