1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have a historically important Traynor Mono Block B any comments?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alec Berfield, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Alec Berfield

Alec Berfield Commercial User

Oct 26, 2020
    Bandon, Oregon USA
    I'm in Entertainment Management, www.agapesoul.com
    45 years ago or so I toured with Lou Reed after the Rock and Roll Animal tour and the Sally Can't Dance Tour.
    While we were out in Europe there was a rather large snafu causing tour economic woes so when we got home I got paid in gear. A Traynor Mono Block B head and a Traynor cab about the size of an SVT cab with a reverse 18" and 2 front loaded 10's. I played them for years around NY and Long Island until I moved to CA making it silly to drag them with.
    Not all that long ago a Mono Block B head showed up on Reverb and I looked with glee just to see one, so I inquired and found that it was about 5 min. from my brother in East Hampton so he went to see. I told him to check for a weird (what appears to be) some kind of drug addled etching scratched into the top and sure as shootin' yep.
    So, I acquired it and have it today, playing my '69 Jazz and my '014 Mike Lull through it. It weighs a ton, I'm told in testing Pete Traynor dropped them off buildings. It is not (he) his name is Tyrone Power btw, he plays like new, I mean like new and the guys in Canada sent me all the info on it.
    So, this is IN FACT the amp that Prakash John played on the LIVE Rock and Roll Animal record/tour AND the Sally Can't Dance same. It is a piece of true Rock History actually.
    I'm wondering if anyone has experience with or can comment good bad or indifferent?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Let's ping @Paulabass for starters, as she currently works with Prakash John.

And welcome to Talkbass BTW.

31HZ, getbent, kobass and 2 others like this.
  3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    They were tough as nails , true , but not the best sounding things . Used one for years . A long time ago .

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How about some pics???

And welcome to TalkBass!!!

5. Alec Berfield

Oct 26, 2020
    Bandon, Oregon USA
    I've spoken to Danny Weis who says Prakash really isn't all that social and wouldn't be interested in chatting about it. However, I flat love the bands he and his son Jordan have...Jordan John and The Blues Angels. That is one talented young man let me tell you!

Passinwind likes this.
  6. Alec Berfield

Oct 26, 2020
    Bandon, Oregon USA
    Thanks, I pm'd her just now, cheers!

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The way I used the @ tag in front of her user name already sends her a notification with a thread link, that's why I did it like that. ;)

Alec Berfield likes this.
  8. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    +1 It was a cool looking beast but never really loved the tone.

9. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    It was lighter than tubes , pretty solid old thing though . Then a friend showed me his brand new GK RB400 and I was just blown away by how light the amp was , and how good those two hundred watts sounded . Had one too , couple of weeks later !
    Those old RBs were bulletproof too !

10. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    There's an unwritten rule around here: No pic, no amp. Just sayin'.

Sixgunn, Ellery, kentiki and 2 others like this.
  11. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

No Pics, No Amp!

Welcome, BTW

Sixgunn likes this.
  12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive Suspended

Is this the amp with heatsinks on each side of the chassis and a weight that could anchor a floating oil platform?

13. Alec Berfield

Oct 26, 2020
    Bandon, Oregon USA
    Yes

Attached Files:

14. Alec Berfield

Oct 26, 2020
    Bandon, Oregon USA
    Cheers

Rockbobmel likes this.
  15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Rock'N Roll Animal is so kickass and he's a great bassplayer. One of the ERA's best!

16. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    I'd love to see pics of this.

I'd also love to hear any Lou stories, if you've got any!

HolmeBass and jeff7bass like this.
  17. taliesin

taliesin

Nov 12, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I played one of those for a few years in the 80's - got it used and yes they were indestructible.

And had the same experience as msb - walked into Long and McQuade and played a GK - in my case an RB800.

That started me on my amp quest :).

TinIndian likes this.
  18. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    That’s a really great story about a long lost piece of gear finding its way back to you.
    My father has a similar story about a small Sony transistor radio that he carried all over Vietnam but forgot to pack and left behind when he came home only to find it at a Hamvention flea market table a few years ago. A cracked plastic case repaired with epoxy confirmed its identity. (Or so he swears, lol ;) )

Alec Berfield, mikewalker and Ellery like this.
  19. Jaycat

Jaycat

Sep 8, 2018
    I clicked on this thread while listening, for the first time, to the Velvet Underground Live at the Matrix CDs. Coincidence? Hmmm I wonder...

20. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    I had one of these in the late 70s and they are very conservatively rated. They’re extremely loud and handle 2 ohm loads. And yes they’re super super heavy. I had the 118 cabinet and it moved mountains. I dropped the head on the way into a gig plugged it in got the smoke and got rid of it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020