Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have a little extra cash & 2 empty spaces...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MonticelloRoad, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Got some extra cash and some extra spot in my rack. I was wondering if some of your pros could offer some insight as to what may help my rig, and why it will help. Here is my setup:

1.Furman PL Power Conditioner (1Space)
    2.Sabine RT7000 Tuner (1Space
    3.Peavey Pro500 Head (2Space)
    4.BBE sonic maximizer (1unneccessary space... I am going to sell this)

That will leave me with 2 spaces. My rig is used for alot of live playing. People have mentioned compressors... eq's... etc... but I really think the Peavey Head is holding it's own and some of this stuff (Like the Sonic Maximizer) is unneccesary. Any help? Tips?

2. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    Well, why not take a page from Stanley, Steve Bailey, et al, and get a chorus/reverb/flanger/phase shifter doo dad?

Or some kind of looper so you can jam along with your self for extended solo opportunities.

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    POWER CONDITIONER!!!!!

The best insurance for your equipment that you will buy IMHO.

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    He already has one...

5. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I'd say possibly a compressor. If your into effects, maybe one of those Line 6 effect racks. EQ's are generrally not necessarily, being that ur amp prolly has most of that stuff covered. Maybe that Aphex aural exciter i hear people talk about?

6. If your into effects, maybe one of those Line 6 effect racks. QUOTE]

+1

7. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Doh!!! Thanks Lockout...thought he was asking for a choice from that list there.......duh

Well then, M-Road.....if you aren't into effects, you could just get a vented/slotted rack panel...it never hurts to keep air flowing around the inside of the rack. You could even get a panel with a fan on it. They don't look half bad either.

Maybe a utility drawer? They add weight to the rack, but they sure are handy. I think SKB makes a plastic one that isn't as heavy.

How about a rackmount wireless?

Or you could just trade-in or sell your 6 space rack, and get a 4 space rack.

8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    OK, you ever heard the saying that "if it isn't broke, don't fix it!" Unless you need a compressor, don't get one. Compressor's are dangerous in the hands of an amauture. As far as a cool effects unit, it is like the flavor of the month. You use it for a while, then you forget about it. The next thing you know, it is up for sale at the TB classifieds. The only thing I would reccommend is the wireless. But a good UHF wireless system is about 4-5 bills. Why not sell your BBE and your 6 space rack and buy a 4 space rack and not mess with your current rig. Take the extra money and say invest or save it.

9. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
  10. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    What the hell are those? What do they do? The price is definately right!

11. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Nevermind. I get it.

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Get a Tri-nuclear de-antabulizer. Empty rack spaces are just plain bad luck.

13. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I have an Algorythmic Prosecutor and it works wonders both on stage and in the studio.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You want the model with the 'chops enhancer and lead guitarist suppressor' though ... If only you wanted a floor unit, this guy has some great stuff ... Red Teletronics

I particularly like the 'tone suck' but hey - it's a matter of taste - or lack thereof ;~)

Seriously though, drop in a vented panel. Save the spaces until you really have to fill one. The vent is cheap looks much better than the hole and if you have something that actually generates heat, serves a purpose. I dropped a 2 ru into my rack and the thing just looks much, much better ...

Or - 1 space panel and a parametric EQ. Everybody needs one eventually...

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    We used one of those DD's when I was in the studio last time. It friken embiggened the hell out of our sound.

16. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    what do those crazy algorythimic prosecutors and digilog dynamicator thingies even do?????

17. nothing, they are joke units used to fill up spare rack spaces. I'm not sure if these in particular are even made, but theyre useful for engineers working on sessions with clueless producers who demand more "soar" or "funk". You let them turn the knob and, even though the sound wont change, they'll believe in their mind that they mind the mix sound better. Gotta love the power of suggestion.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  19. What a great suggestion... too bad the knobs don't go to 11, I'd definately buy one. Honestly, I think it be hilarious to put one of these in the rack to blow a bunch of smoke up other players asses... I fear I'd wind up looking like the ass though.