1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have a little extra money this month and...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by billiam5billion, Oct 31, 2010.

1. I'd like to get new pickups for my MIM Fender J.

There's really nothing wrong with the pups in there, I"m just doing the switch to learn how to do it. I figure this '96 MIM isn't gonna have any resale value for a couple of generations, and I'd like to learn how to correctly swap pups myself, so why not try it out?

That, and I'd like to see really how much difference there is in changing pups as far as recording goes. My band has a demo recorded with my stock setup, and we're gonna go and do some new tracks, and I'd like a side-by-side comparison.

I'm going for a super vintage sound, like as close to double bass sound as I can get. Any suggestions?

2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    IMO, a jazz bass sounds nothing like a double bass, but for a vintage tone, you should get some fralins !

3. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    any of the cheaper single coil/"vintage" style dimarzio pups will do 'vintage fender' well, but to attempt more of an upright sound, play toward the neck, favor the bridge pup, and goof with your mid settings

4. I've been getting really close to the sound I'm thinking of by dialing the bridge up all the way, rolling off the tone about a 1/4 turn, and playing right on top of the muted neck pup. Flats did a heap of good too, but I still feel like there's something missing, like there's just not enough ass in it.

5. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    a variable/parametric mid does wonders in this situation, though i ended up going fretless to get what you are talking about

6. Ah, maybe in the near future, but right now I think I might go with the model J's. The price is just right.

7. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    with the mim body, check that the dimarzio bridge pup will fit in the existing route ;)

8. Oh, it won't. I already know that my year MIM has identical pup routes, but I'm gonna go ahead and try my hand at a dremel.

9. tysonh

tysonh

Jan 2, 2010
    I very happy with the SCN pups I just installed in mine, I would'nt say that they are vintage but the overall sound improvement was like going from talking through a bottle neck to full range live sound.

Make a note of the body alterations needed to make any jazz pups other than Mexi's fit in a MIM J.