1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have a Markbass F500. I need a fatter sound.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kwesi, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Ok, here's the deal. I dig the tone that I'm getting through my Markbass F500 but I want it to be fatter. I usually have the bass, low mid (@ ~250Hz), and hi mid (@ ~700Hz) set to about 2 o'clock. My bass is pretty bright naturally but when I run it through my computer (flat, no preamp, no amp sim) it sounds HUGE but when I but it through my rig and have to tweak quite a bit to get there. The F500 EQ seems kind of weak in comparison to other preamp EQs (on amps and in basses) that I've tried and I'd like something with more toneshapping power or something that gets me closer to the sound I'm looking for without tweaking. Of course, the easiest way to fix this would be to get a new cab but I really like the mid and treble characteristics of the Berg AE410 so I'd like to keep it.

I'm only interested in micro heads. Suggestions?

2. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Streamliner 900 sounds real nice with the AE410.

3. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    If you want tweak-ability, some good power and a pretty fat sounding amp. Have you tried the Genz Benz Shuttle Max 9.2 or smaller Shuttle 9.2.

Now, If you want big fat rolly polly. .the Genz Benz streamliner 900 can do that. .But if you want Semi PARA EQ the ShuttleMax or Shuttle would deliver.

4. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    +1 to that.. The Berg AE410 is a keeper... Dont get rid of that cab..

5. The F500 and AE410 is quite a punchy and scarily articulate rig. Very unforgiving. I would not call it 'fat', so I get what you are saying.

I solved that issue by switching my AE410 for the AE212, and the F500 with that combination is truly amazing, set virtually flat. With the AE410, I always had to boost the bass (NOT the low mids) a bit, and cut the upper midrange around 1K to really make it sing (you might try that).

That all being said, if you want a bit less bright, a bit more low end oomph, and a more chewy, fat midrange without turning a lot of knobs, I'm pretty impressed with the Aguilar TH500 and the AE410. The Ag already has that dip in the upper mids that smooths that cab out, and the low end is quite a bit fatter (lower hi pass setting, and some baked in upper bass boost). It also has quite a bit more midrange distortion in it that makes it sound quite a bit warmer than the F500, which is pretty clean and 'flat' sounding.

Absolute max volume is about the same.

I dig the Streamliner with the AE410, but I don't think that would be your thing. The Genz Max 9.2 sounds good, but is kind of 'tight and bright' like the F500 (actually, set flat, more tight and bright). You can 'get there' with that head and the AE410, but it takes some pretty serious knob twisting IMO and IME. If you are willing to do that, it is a good option.

I'm digging the Aguilar TH500. Singificantly lighter than the F500 (not that it really matters once you get that light), and a very simple box to use. The low end doesn't need much fattening, leaving the single semi-parametric EQ to shape the mids the way you want). It won't due the beautiful, crystal clear top end of the F500, but the top end of the TH500 is a bit more meaty.... really works with a P Bass or 60's style J wonderfully.

All good stuff!

6. Well, before I switched to Markbass I had a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0. I switched because I dug the how lively the LittleMark II sounded in comparison. The F500 shares that liveliness. I'd be willing to give the Shuttles another shot though. Gotta get myself to the local bass place this weekend...

7. The original Shuttle 6 was nice for what it was, but really didn't perform well with a large cab compared to its similarly rated competition. The Max 9.2 is a totally different thing. Also, the Shuttle 9 and 9.2 and the new Shuttle 6.2 are much fatter sounding than the original 6, which was voiced a bit to work well with the little Shuttle cabs.

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Dude you gotta try my TH500. Let me know if you want to schedule a meet sometime in the next while.

9. The funny thing is that these were the first two ideas that came to mind before I started this thread! Either swapping the F500 for a TH500 or swapping the AE410 for a AE212. The latter would be a bit tougher so I think I'll give the TH500 a shot.

10. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    A 212 cab is mind blowing. I have a Berg HT/EX112 ministack, an Aggie DB 212 and an SWR Goliath 3. The SWR is articulate, buy nowhere near as fat and articulate as the Berg and neither can touch the articulation, punch, fatness and presence of the Aggie. The AE410 is killer, but the 12's are mind blowing. I have used my cabs with my Markbass LMII and my Shuttlemax 9.2, both sound great, but the genz takes the cake.

11. Try Bass to 2 o'clock, Low-mid to 5 o'clock, High-mid 11 o'clock, and Treble to 10 o'clock. See if that doesn't sound fatter.

12. I neglected to mention that I can play with the EQ and get pretty much exactly what I want. I don't know exactly why, I really dislike having to push the EQ on a pre. I know it's there to use and all but I'd much rather have something I like the sound of completely flat and have the option to go from there.

13. +1 Boosting the low and hi mids as he is doing is 'reinforcing' the peaks inherent in that cab, and it will sound (IMO) a bit clacky with too much low mids relative to deep bass with the head boosted as he is currently doing.

However, the F500 (and the AE410) are more 'articulate and punchy' versus chewy and fat, so the knobs will only take you so far.

14. I would get over that:D IMO, that probably takes the Genz stuff out of the equation for you (at least with that cab).

15. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Add a Tech21 BDDI ......problem solved!

16. Haha, as much as I've heard about preamp pedals, they're a no go for me. If I can't plug my bass straight into my amp and get the non-effected tone I'm looking for then the set up is no good.

17. Or a Tech21 Paradriver. Mid sweep knob at around 200hz, and bump it.

18. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    After all the time and money you've spent on this stuff, is it really that big a deal to plug in a little Boss stomp box graphic eq? One short cable from the eq to the input. You can leave it on the box next to the amp. Or just Velcro it to the head.

You can compensate for the hassle by using a Korg Pitchjack in the tuner out of the amp. EASY!! Plus you can sculpt your sound mo better!

19. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    You seriously may want to try the Sansamp BDDI. murphy is right. It's really easy to use, and you may be able to get the "fatness" you are looking for without changing your head/cab setup. I use the "SVT" setting and then tweak from there. I take it to all my gigs with a backline, just to make sure i still have that "fatness" that i like.. Just my experience though :p

20. I'm just not up for putting a preamp/EQ pedal into my chain unless it's being used primarily to switch between tones quickly. I know I can get the sound I want going straight in, I just need to find the right head. I've got nothing against pedals but I'd only put down the cash if they do something I can do with my rig as it is. It's not a matter of money, it' more about convenience. I'd much rather change my head instead of adding something.