I have a massive disrespect for female bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below

Why, you ask? Because it just seems to me like all the ones I see are just eye candy, being pushed by some coroporate scumbag! I mean come on, how many girl lead guitarist do you see? Well, I bet there's alot but I haven't seen a lot of them. It's not like they can't just find some hot chick, teach her the basics and then make sure she's buried in the mix. It's like a low budget Britney Spears syndrome, man! It's all the record companies plot to make us BUY RECORDS! AND I WON'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

Although I do respect the ones in riot grrl bands, because my girlfriend MAKES ME LISTEN TO THEM 24/7 :rolleyes:
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Rana Ross would've kicked your ass.
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I take it you have never heard of meshell ndegéocello/
  4. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I made that topic in a hurry, and I shouldn't of made it sound like I hate all female bassists, just for being female. I use to watch SNL reruns all the time last summer, and I remember alot of pop-songwriter types with huge bands having female bassists. And that just made me sad.
  5. Record companies make you buy records?? that's weird.. I only buy records because I want to. And I also think that any bass playing girl.. no matter how attractive or how bad she plays, will be playing because she likes to.

So.. relax, grab you bass and do your own stuff
  6. :)
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I didn't ask why, and neither did anyone else. Personally, I have a massive disrespect for people who make ignorant sweeping generalizations like this one. If all the female bassists you see are as you describe, perhaps you should get up off of your proverbial backside and check out some other female bassists. Otherwise, you find yourself in the position of sitting in your room in the dark and pretending to be blind when you could just stand up and turn on the light.

The switch is on the wall...I only hope it isn't too much trouble to walk across the room and flick it on. Have you heard Rana Ross? Kristen Korb? If the light was on, you'd see them.
  8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Chris, I totally agree. Generalizations suck.
  9. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Why single out the girls?

Because I am an ignorant, close minded, slightly misogynist boy ;) And my musical grasp only reaches a limited supply of things. I'll Check out Rana Ross, Kristen Korb, Meshell Ndegéocello.
  10. LMAO!:D
    Who do you think you are??
    I totally forgot that there are narrowminded people like you are out there!

Yes, there aren't many female guitarist/ bassist out there. And especially the onces you can compare to guys like Petrucci for guitar or a Stu Hamm to bass.
    But than again, how many good male bassplayers in those popular bands are out there? Hoppus dude?Give me a break, most bassplayers in those hitlist bands aren't great at all and they are MALE!

I don't know if I am eyecandy or not and personally I don't care. What I do know that I am a bassplayer who get's asked for stuff because of my bassplaying and not for being a girl.

And you my friend, you sound like jealous little wanker who wants the same attention as those girls get and you want to break through with your band also.

But thank you so much for starting this thread! Thank you for letting me start the day with a big smile on my face after reading your ignorant thread...

11. koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    It's a said state of affairs when a person of such small scope of the world exists. Carol Kaye as well as the others mentioned are amzing talents. If generalizations are going to be made I will make one, I can't stand narrow minded chauvinist scum who are woman haters because the have to compensate for the lack of equal stature. I thought it was 2003? If this is what it looks like still after all these years then I guess it's time to get some blinders because its an ugly world indeed. I am quite confident that sitting at home in the woodshed is more than enough females who are poised to shred your ass straight into the ground in 10 notes or less. This kind of biggotry does not belong here. I think if you are going to be so bass ackwards you might as well take your male bass and get packing.
  12. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA

*wonders what all that time spent in the 'shed is for, when she could just be out sporting her looks...*

First, most of the bassists in those pop-songwriter touring bands were most likely chosen because they have excellent sight-reading skills (for those gigs I'm sure you need to know how to read chord charts and can pick up a song fast) and theory knowledge and not because of looks.

Second, it's pretty much a fact that most of these all-girl bands out nowadays probably would never have a record deal if they weren't hot-looking females. So, when you say you do have respect for "riot grrl" bands, it's kind of contradicting what you're posting about, if you're complaining that female bassists are only getting record deals and gigs because of their hot looks.
  13. *sits down with beer*

It is soo nice when some ignorant wankers comes along and post a thread like this...
    I would like to ask him if he can bend over so I can shove my 6 string in his arse...

Or is that a bit rude?
  14. Sure. The same thing never happens with male musicians. :rolleyes:

How you should have said what I assume you are trying to say is:

"I hate it when record companies push lousy musicians on us because their looks are seen to be better marketing than their ability. That blows."

This probably would have got you nothing but complete agreement and sympathy. Instead, you came up with some crazy nonsense about having "massive disrespect for female bassist".

15. Exactly!
    Like I said, those MALE bassplayers in thise popular bands are not exaclty the right symbol of a good bassplayer IMO.
    It is a fact that there are more males out there than females when it comes down to bassplaying, guitarplayer etc.

It is also a fact that music like Jaco, Hamm, Miller etc are making can't be find in the hitlists. Or stuff like Zappa, Dream Theater etc.

I am a female and I play a 6 string bass in a progressive rock band ..do you think my band will ever get signed by a record label and they will have a video clip made of us?
    I don't think so...

You gotta be a mainstream "playing loads of open E's" bassplayer if you want to be appreciated by the big audience (flea is an exeption), so start whining about the amount of bad musician out there who get the credits...
  16. i think the female bassist in something for kate is great and i wish i could come up with lines like that.

while i dont agree with the original poster i think people have taken a skewed view on what he was saying. i believe he was more angry that greedy people behind the scenes have chosen female bassists for their looks, rather than just hating girls altogether.

still it did sound unneccesarily jealous etc.

and you have to admit there are stacks of **** male bassists. on this topic just the other day at a party this drunk dude (total stranger) came up to me (not knowing i played) and crapped on yelling "i love to slap my bass" "man i neeed to slap my bass"..etc...what a loser, bigest A hole i have ever met in person. i dont like slapping much you may have figured. actually that was quite off the topic :D
  17. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Albini_Fan, you really need to put more thought in before you post.

I mean really, what response did you expect to get from "I have a massive disrespect for female bassists"?
  18. Excuse me, but how many female bassplayers can you think of that are playing in bands that are popular and have a song up in the hitlists?
  19. I would kick your arse, but I'm too lazy to respond to such provocatism like that.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.