1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have a Music Man Color question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leftybassist, Dec 1, 2006.

1. leftybassist

leftybassist

Nov 30, 2006
    this is supposedly carbon blue:
    colorchart_12.
    and this is supposedly sapphire black:
    colorchart_04.
    but look at these pictures of a "carbon blue" bongo:
    bluebongoH.
    and
    bluebongoJb.
    and these pictures of a "sapphire black" bongo:
    boNgoM.
    and
    boNgoA.

somebody tell me which pictures are more accurate to the Music Man colors or are their colors just inconsistant?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Their colors are perfectly consistant. The stock photos portray the colors well.

3. leftybassist

leftybassist

Nov 30, 2006
    I like the colors of the bongos in the last 4 pictures so what colors are they?

4. The carbon blue and sapphire black I've seen in person are much more blue and black, respectively, than the two in the second set of pictures. But the EB stock photos for both are lighter than what I've seen in person

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They are what they claim to be, however the pictures of the carbon blue one are quite dark, hence why it appears dark. And there is a lot of reflection on the sapphire black one.

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11316

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here are some indoor flash shots to contrast Jack's outdoor shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every Carbon Blue Bongo I've seen has looked like Carbon Blue. Every Sapphire Black Bongo I've seen has looked like Sapphire Black.

Both colors are impacted by the color of the pickguard, too. I think the Ernie Ball finishes are amazing simply because they aren't Fender copycats. And, depending on how you accessorize, you can certainly set a different tone with the visual (ie: Acrylic gold swirl on the CB Bongo in my pics :D ).

7. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    The key thing you have to remember is that most of the Musicman finishes have some metalic sparkle in them. Therefore they will look different depending on the light. But they are very consistent with each other.

Also, the 4 string Bongo in the first set of pics in Carbon Blue, the 5 string is Sapphire Black.

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    mmm carbon blue. I'm come to my senses, though. I'm a stingray 5 kinda guy.

9. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    One more picture of carbon blue in pretty bright outdoor light:

Bongo-5HS-0005.

- Tim

10. Tom F

Tom F

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Here's my carbon blue pearl Bongo (outside in natural light). I think this represents the finish pretty well, although it's a little bit bright...

[​IMG]

11. it is hard to photograph a bass and get the best of its colours, especially sparkle colours.

12. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Your digital camera is using something called "white balance" to approximate what the human eye does automatically. Our eyes adjust well to different color temperatures of different kinds of light, so when we see an object under sunlight, or various kinds of indoor lighting, the color looks almost the same to us.

A cheaper camera try to do this automatically by looking for a what it thinks is a white or black area in the photo to use for reference. Sometimes it works well, often it does not.

Pro photographers with pro equipment will use something called a "gray card" to precisely preset the camera white balance to the lighting condition.

13. leftybassist

leftybassist

Nov 30, 2006
    Thank you everyone for your input! I went to Guitar Center today and had them order a carbon blue bongo 4 string HH with a black pg. Should be ready around April!!! :bassist: :hyper: :D

14. It's a hard color to photograph...much like Rolls Burgandy.
    Here's my Carbon Blue Bongo:

[​IMG]

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Congrats lefty. I remember thinkin that the wait for my Ray5 was tremendous but worth every minute. We placed the order i think December 26th or something of 2002. I received my bass in i think January or Feb of 03. It's been my main bass ever since.

take it easy.

16. BillySundayMD

BillySundayMD

Dec 19, 2006
    The difference of color in the photos has to be because the color has metal flake. I have a pearl blue MM that does the same thing. The difference in light and angles produce a different look. Its actually really cool. The carbon blue looks awesome.

17. leftybassist

leftybassist

Nov 30, 2006
    Ok so like I said I ordered a carbon blue bongo. But now the wait is driving me nuts. I don't know what to do with myself. And I'm still a little unsure what the carbon blue will look like. This picture has thrown me for a loop cuz it actually kinda looks a little greenish, and I'm not so sure I like that :
    http://home.comcast.net/~barkatozz/CarbBlueFull.jpg
    I'm hoping this is more accurate.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46607&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1165015820
    Anybody have any advice to help me from loosing my mind here.

18. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yeah that last one you posted is my old Bongo (I took that pic). That is what it looks like under normal lighting.