1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have A Old Bullfrog 2X15 Alumabass Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jerryjg, Dec 17, 2006.

1. jerryjg

jerryjg

Aug 20, 2006
    Has anyone ever heard of these? 600 Watts RMS . Its a 2X15 enclosure.Medium density fibrebaord carpeted and its got a meatl grill. The Enclosure is ported on the bottom.I checked, and while it appears bullfrog may still be making Bass gear, I don't believe the 2X15 cabinet is made any longer. I knwo 2X15's are passe. Everyone seems to be going to a different set-up as evidenced in the picture thread.

2. They came along in the early to mid-'90s. Bullfrog had already been in business, and this was their entry into bass cabs, at least as far as trying to compete directly with Hartke in the aluminum business. There were two different lines, one slightly more expensive than the other, and with higher power handling. I think somewhere I still have a product brochure for those. I don't think they were around for more than five years with that product. Don't know if Bullfrog still exists. Google, here I come!

Now we've got Behringer and even more recently, Gallien-Krueger with aluminum cones. To each their own.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    When Bullfrog came out with their aluminium cone line of speakers, I just happened to be in the Toronto L&m store the day their sales rep was there and they had a trio playing with a decent bass player shredding with the group. Sort of fusion music. The cabinets sounded quite good. They had a single 15 and a 4-10 in stock. Very much a Hartke sound. They just never got off the ground. L&M sold off the ones they had in stock and never got any more in. They were a bit expensive compared to Hartke and heavy. But they did have a decent sound and could handle a fair bit of power without breaking up.

4. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I have an Alumabass 2x10 model (no horn) I bought back ~'94 or so to put on top of my Traynor 2x15. It is 400W 4ohm cabinet. It is pretty heavy, MUCH heaver than the Hartke's. I think the aluminum cones are a little thicker too.
    When I used it as stand alone cab, sounded pretty good and the bass was pretty good for a 2x10 as well. But, I moved on to an ElWhappo and now she's at my practice space collecting dust because my band never practices anymore :crying:

gg

5. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Good ol' Alumabass!

Are the Musicians Friend / Gallien Goldline cabinets the second coming of Alumabass? :ninja:

[​IMG]

From the MF website:
    "Gallien-Krueger Goldline 115GLX 1x15 Bass Cabinet Specifications:

* Configuration: 1 x 15 Paragon Goldline Loudspeakers.
    * Power Handling: 200w
    * Impedance: 8 Ohms
    * Sensitivity: 90dB
    * Frequency Response: 35Hz to 7kHz
    * Porting: Front Slot Ported
    * Dimensions: 23"W x 26"H x 18"D
    * Weight: 88 lbs."

Yeah, IMHO the Goldlines are the new Alumabass. Heavy, inefficient, etc. But if you like that gold cone...

6. 88 pounds for a 1x15? Oink. :rollno:
    I remember a g****rist w/one of these(Bullfrog)cabs eons ago- I though it looked cool, but then never saw another one.

7. Salizander

Salizander

Oct 28, 2004
    I really like & still use my 4x10 (though I blew & replaced one of the speakers) Very punch & developes a LOT of low end about 15 20 out in front of the cabinet. It also weights 93 lbs. Though I dount really mind the weight of this or any of my equipment.

smallerrig.

8. Salizander

Salizander

Oct 28, 2004
    When I bought the thing new, I copied this from their website:

aluma.