I have a problem buying exotic bass gear... someone help.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Obsius29A, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    I can't stop fiending over seriously delicious bass gear. In one weekend alone I bought a Schecter Model-T, a gorgeous early 80s Alembic, and a Mesa Boogie m-Pulse 600 + Road Ready 4x10 rig. This is in addition to my Ernie Ball Stingray 5 and Fretless Stingray 4, and Tacoma USA Acoustic 4.

Now, this is not a collection that comes close to rivaling what some of you guys have. But when you consider the following points, you will see that I have a sickness:

1) I am most definitely going to purchase one or two completely exotic basses within the next two months.
    2) I am a freaking ELECTRIC GUITAR player, not a bassist!

My deal is that I am a pretty sick guitarist and have a real affinity and instinct for low end grooves- I've tracked bass for two full albums and I have to say that the bass playing is about as good as it was going to get for this music. I'm really proud of what I accomplished.

But I keep buying this stuff because I want the bass guitar on my own album (which is in the works) to be absolutely amazing sounding. I love playing the bass, and I love great bassists. I am definitely pretty damn good, but I know that there has got to be someone better who would really play the hell out of my material.

So here is where you help... are any of you guys in your 20s, sick at the bass, and in the NY area? Because if you have GAS, I will open up my soon-to-be outrageous arsenal (I'm itching for a Linc Luthier, Browne, or Ken Lawrence Chamberbrase) to someone who would want to play bass on a great album and possibly in a really great band.

Someone please get in touch so I can get back to singing and playing the guitar and... buying sick bass gear for you to play in the studio and on stage ;-)
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I don't think you have a problem at all. In fact, I think you might just be my new best friend!!! :D :smug:
  3. if this wasnt a joke id move
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Wow, you really are a guitarist!

Just be thankful you haven't purchased a bunch of really exotic stuff yet-just standard Guitar Center stuff. The sickness will only really get bad once you've shelled out the dough for a Ken Lawrence and some Glockenlangs.
  5. I like gear. When I play guitar, people ask if I'm sick.
  6. Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    Oh guys I wish this weren't a joke =(

The Guitar Center level stuff wasn't even supposed to stick around. Bought it purely to record a friend's album with. The tone was great and I wanted a big rig for when I, or my eventual bass player needed to go out and play a show, so I kept it. :meh:

You guys should see my guitar collection. Some seriously outrageous Les Pauls, a few custom strat types, a few beaters with really cool vibes, 3 Taylor acoustics (Goodall is also well represented) and Top Hat, Carr, Naylor, Demeter, and until recently, Bad Cat amps.

So... who wants to be my bass player? ;-) I'm trying to sell the Alembic and Boogie rig so I could buy something like the Browne and/or Huff at JPJ's shop!

If anyone actually is interested in what the music of an idiot like yours truly may sound like, I can post a link to clips :)
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I'd like to hear some clips. Also, if you're looking for a bassist, you should post a thread in the Bassists forum.
  8. Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    Didn't even know such a place existed for that, but since I really do want someone who loves bass gear (I just love the look of an insane bass arsenal in use on stage) I hope no one minds if I leave this thread up :-D

The music on these pages might sound a little singer/songwritery, but they are definitely written to be really gorgeous band arrangements. The sound I have in mind is kind of a blend of the home recordings you hear here (and elsewhere on the web), SNES/Playstation music (Xenogears, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc.), and Sound Garden.

On here, have a listen to Given, Pretty, Don't Have the Body, The Fairly Light, Snowbag, and The Worth. The others, Eleven Eleven especially, are all pretty cool, but the above mentioned will really get you into the thick of it pretty fast.

Splintering, Something Incredibly Pale, Easily, So Long and Sorry, Stuffed Toy Sea, those are all real nice tracks- but I'm also proud of the other ones on there. You might give some of those a listen too, if you're still into the sound after the first two clips you hear ;-)
  9. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Pics/ clips of the Model T?
  10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Best reply so far!!!

Wish I could help you man, good luck finding a player.
  11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I own a 79 strat and a Marshall TSL601 with nice tubes and a HempCone Vintage30 speaker.

I'm a Bass Player!

12. I own a Rosewood Tele and a Penn Custom Series 2x12 with Weber Blue Dog AlNiCos.

And I'm a bass player!

This is like a bass players' AA meeting or something.
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    I listened to a bunch of the tracks. Totally not the music I was expecting given the "sick guitarist" remark. The strongpoints of the songs are not even the instrument playing-there's nothing extraordinary about any of that-it's the songwriting and vocals. Most of the songs were very simple and beautiful-they have a personality to them. I don't drive nor live in NY, but if I did I know I'd love to play on those songs (I'd bring my own gear though ;) )
  14. Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY

Thanks so much for the kind words. You know, I'm only in my very early 20s, but I already went through the whole technique is #1 thing in my teens. When I was 15, I had already released an album w/ my Long Island based prog rock band Echoes of Eden. It sold 300 copies which means it wasn't even a blip on the map, but we had enough history in that band (which spanned 8 years and consisted of some incredibly complex relationships) that it felt like a whole career. I was the lead guitarist in the band, and we were all about these extended 10 minute songs with crazy crazy crazy time signature stuff, so when I started writing and singing 3 years ago I was totally burnt out on the technical side of music.

What I go for is songs that are incredibly true to momentary inspiration (nearly all of them were written on the spot after I hit 'record' in a simple audio program) and in many cases, I think I nailed that elusive sound very well. As far as the gear lust, I just think there is something amazing about an incredible instrument and I like to surround myself with quality when I can as each new instrument really inspires me.

So, if you have any friends who you know or anything, feel free to pass on the information! Or if you really do like it, maybe we could somehow collaborate online :-D
  15. Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    mmm... Penn 2x12 and a Rosewood Tele.

Ever hear the Kingsley amps? Yikes.

Anyone else hear those clips btw? ;-D
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This one is scattershooting. Basses, amps, Bassists, guitars, recordings... Let's try the Miscellaneous forum.
  17. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm joining the AA model here.

My name is Wayne and I have an equipment addiction too.

Everybody: "Hi, Wayne!"

In addition to my bass gear: I have a custom Strat, a customized Hamer Archtop,a Bedrock 2x12 combo, a Taylor 12-string, a Chapman Stick, Congas, Bongos, a didgeridu, a couple of old electric keyboards....yeah. And I'm definitely a bass player that plays AT everything else.