Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i have a problem i think

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JWC, Oct 22, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    i had the strings on my fender p bass raised pretty high last week (higher than average for a p bass). i prefer to have high action, always have. i had this done by a "tech". Anway, at a show this weekend, my bass ketp coming out of tune. its been a week since i had the action raised and no problems since. why would it have kept coming out of tune?? I dont get it.

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I'm a little confused about the sequence of your post but I believe I understand your question.

I've found that changes to the action that involve truss rod adjustment need a day or two for everything to stabilize.

If your action is raised at the bridge in one large step you will also go through a settling in period. The higher the strings are set, the more bending effort you place on the neck. Lower action pulls in a line closer to the center axis and more parallel to the neck. Higher action pulls in a direction that is less parallel and has a tendency to bend the neck rather than compress it.

If you raise the action by very much at the bridge, you really need to tighten the truss rod just a smidgin' to take some of the strain off the neck.

Another negative to action that is way too high is that it can really increase the strain at the heel joint on a bolt-on neck bass. Not to mention that excessively high action decreases string life significantly.

Bruce Lindfield and I had a discussion a while back on a setup method that advocates "0" relief and low action. Having tried this method, I now believe this is the best set-up that I've tried. May not be for everyone but everyone should try it.

Pkr2

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    "Bruce Lindfield and I had a discussion a while back on a setup method that advocates "0" relief and low action. Having tried this method, I now believe this is the best set-up that I've tried. May not be for everyone but everyone should try it."

I also use this setup and it works great for me. I've had other people kid me about it. They say that you can play my bass, just by breathing on it...:)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Anthony Jackson supports the no relief lower action setup as well.

I am not quite disciplined enough for that setup, especially on the hard rock stuff. When we start playing some Grand Funk or Steppenwolf I dig in too hard and get excessive string noise.