Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have a problem... when i bypass my pedals my tone is drained.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CoryBelcher, Aug 31, 2004.

1. I did a search and found some info on loopers, but im still uncertain as to what I need to do. Here is my problem, any help would be huge:

My current setup with effects is...
    bass> digitech synth> digitech chorus> digitech bass squeeze> amp.

When I turn off all the effects and just try a clean tone- it sounds very very flat. So ive heard these "looopers" take care of this problem?

Now what I plan on doing is adding one or two more pedals at the most to my setup... and I need to know what kind of pedal/loooper I need to get so i can get a normal true bypass clean tone, and then switch over to effects when I need also. Basicaaly, I want the sound I get when i go direct to my amp from my bass, and then the ability to click on the effects when i want.

Please help me- im so lost!

2. You could try an A/B box, where you're signal is split. You could run your bass into the effects, but just have a clean signal running to your amp.

Digitech has been known to train the tone, but, I for one compensate by using the tone controls on my amp, and the onboard preamp helps for an extra push too. It's becoming rarer and rarer to find "true" bypass, mainly because true bypass doesn't effect (*rimshot*) guitar players as much as it does bass players. I'm not bagging that guitar plays don't have tone (depending on what kind of sound they want) but the "normal" hearing range frequencies are easier to modify and easier to "un-modify" than low frequencies that take accustoming to.

3. see but i dont see how the ab box does that. I thought the ab would only let me switch beetween two different basses?

4. www.loooper.com

Looopers do, in fact, take all your pedals out of the signal path when disengaged. You'd need a simple '1 loop' loooper. They do the job nicely.

HOWEVER, I find it very odd that you're having such trouble with some relatively tame effects. I use Digitech stuff all the time without a loooper and have hardly any signal loss.

It's possible there's a bad connection somewhere or maybe one of your pedals is a bit defective. Take them one-at-a-time and see if any one effect is draining your tone when disengaged.

Otherwise, my only advice is to put your compressor first in your chain ahead of the synth, that way you have a more controlled attack going into a really sensitive pedal. My two cents.

ps. what cables are you using? Are the batteries new or are you running an adaptor?

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Your basses are active. His bass is passive. Ergo, the capacitance of all that additional circuitry is having a relatively greater effect on his tone.

6. Actually, my Yamaha is passive. Still, regardless of the bass I play, I have 10 pedals that I use constantly. I go: Bass, wireless, pedals, preamp, etc. I own a loooper, but even when I didn't use it, I didn't have any trouble with a thin sounding bass. The problems he's describing with just 3 pedals sounds really extreme to me. Both the Synth and Squeeze are highly regarded around here, and if they were such tone-suckers, I think they'd be burned at the stake.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Any type of Loooper or true bypass box may do you wonders. Digitech is notorious for sucking tone.

8. okay great! thanks so much yall....

so one final question. How do I use the looper?... would i plug the bass into the loopers "in", and the effects in the looper "out"- that part I dont get? Basically, how do I set it up so i can have all my effects working and then just click the loooper and i have ONLY a true bypassed tone?

Also, is it important that i only have one input on my bass combo? Or will the loooper still work.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    You'd plug your bass into the input, and then run a cable from the "triangle pointing outward" jack to the input of the first pedal in your effects chain. The output of the last pedal in your chain goes into the "triangle pointing inward" jack, and the output of the loooper goes to your amp's input.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Your pedals are changing your tone due to an impedance change, and perhaps some non-true-bypass-ness going on. Them Loopers are a good idea, or perhaps upgrading your effects might do the trick.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You plug the bass into the input. When the looper is engaged, the signal will go out the effect send, through your pedals, and to the effect return continuing to the looper's output. When disengaged, the signal will flow from in to out with no loop.

Hope this helps.