1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I have a quandry....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Spearhead, Feb 19, 2002.

1. This thread deals with my first bass, a p-bass copy. I have a huge sentimental attachment to it, and after I putting new electronics, new hardware, and nice strings Ive grown to love the tone and feel it has. After saving my money I invested in a new bass and I use both equally. My question lies here; I really want to learn how to play fretless and I decided to defret my old bass. Im confident in my ability to do this and I beleieve that the tone will only improve from doing this, but ive read so many threads where people have defretted their basses have ended up with a heap of garbage. I have to be concerned, because I think I have a lot gain by defretting , but also a lot to lose. If I could afford a nice fretless bass at the moment Id invest in one, but I cant; and theres no way Im defretting my conklin. So what are your guys opinions?

2. Buy a Fretless neck.
    I too was toying with defretting My MIM Jazz, but decided it would be better to find a Fretless neck and try that in case I suck even worse then I do with a fretted. Course in my case its more a GAS then need.

3. Mike88T is right - a new neck will do the job for less than half the cost of new, decent copy bass. Warmoth is a good choice - a fretless Jazz style in all maple is around $150. A Stewart MacDonald fretless neck with an ebony fretboard is around the same cost but you'll have to shape the headstock yourself.

IMO defretting is ALWAYS a lower quality substitute to an actual fretless neck. My reasoning is simple: A defretted neck will never look like a true fretless, no matter how well the work is done. Sure, they will function in much the same way but aesthetics are an important quality to me.

4. A guy called FreakyFender has a thread out on summat along what youre talkin bout. Check it out for more info...:)

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I second...

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Then if you don't take to fretless, you still have your other neck and can sell the fretless neck. But I bet you will love going fretless.

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    ... and you can do like I did for a couple of years and switch back and forth when you have gigs that require one or the other.