1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i have a question about 5 string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapnpop, Aug 7, 2007.

1. slapnpop

slapnpop

Aug 4, 2007
    so does a 5 string still have the same E A D G strings and just another added one or does the 5th string change everything?

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    standard tuning is: B E A D G. Just a lower string added. Though... E A D G C (added high string) isn't super uncommon. Then there are the freaky detuning and alternate tuning folks... but we won't talk about them. B E A D G is all you need to know ;)

3. slapnpop

slapnpop

Aug 4, 2007
    so can u still play 4 string songs on a 5 string?

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    sure I guess? I don't understand the idea of a 4 string song.. but you should be all set with a 5.

5. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Yeah man, it's all the same, just with some extra wood and an extra string you can use for a thumbrest ;)

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If there is a song you are used to playing on a 4 string, you can play that exact same song the exact same way on a 5 string, just ignoring the "extra" string.

orrrrrrrrr

You can play that same song in a different, sometimes more comfortable position.

Peace,

James

7. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    If you can play it on a 4,it can be played on a 5,simple as that.

8. Yup, but moving to 5 string really made things alot easier for me. We have probably 7 or 8 of our originals that are d tuned, its nice to never have to drop my e string to d again. And yeah, it makes some songs easier and more comfortable to play as well.